Chicken math

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lereg15, Mar 13, 2015.

1. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Ok,lost control at tractor supply. The chicken run will now be 100ft long and 50 ft wide. That should be ok for 6 geese and 30 chickens to start with. Shouldn't it???? Also have 300#of starter grower 18% and 50# of 20%.
    To say my wife is gonna have kittens is an understatement! !!!!! Well what do y'all think?? Next project is building a dual purpose goose/chicken house. 100ft walls 12 ft deep by 24 ft long.

2. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I plan on separating the roos just as soon as they can be reliably identified. Have white giants, white rocks,Dark cornish and a few cornish X females on the way:)

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Since last post many changes!!!!
    Picked up the new 4 barred rock pullets[​IMG] (128).
    Hatched out another round of 22 chicks[​IMG] (150).
    2 died [​IMG] (148).
    One pullet in the older pullet pen got attacked by the other pullets and they literally ate her alive.[​IMG] (147).
    Neighbors that I had given some chickens to had a raccoon wipe out some of their flock. So, he asked me for a rooster[​IMG]. (ANYTIME! LOL! 146)
    One of our other roosters got attacked and killed-beheaded-by a raccoon[​IMG]. (145)
    Neighbors brought back one of the hens because their dog attacked her. I put her in her own cage to strengthen her leg and she is fine now. Has a slight limp now, but is laying eggs and
    eating, drinking, socializing fine.[​IMG] (146)

Hope your chicken math is not as complicated as mine!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  4. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    WOW! So sorry for your problems. I'm
    Hopping that three strands of electrical fence, a very old and very powerful sears fence charger prevent predator problems

5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Hope that works for you as well. I don't think I have a lot of problems for the amount of chickens I have[​IMG]

6. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I anticipate more problems from the aforementioned chicken snake and neighborhood delinquents.lol

7. clickdb

clickdb Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm taking a crash course in chicken math, I'm just a beginner... Convinced my wife to get chickens ("for the kids!"), we decided to let each of them pick one out. Then the wife picked one out. Then another. Then it was my turn. I picked just one. We were supposed to have 5 chicks, and went home with 6. Not bad so far. Sadly, one passed away after two weeks, and the wife sent me back to replace it. I brought 3 more home. Ok, so 8 chicks now. One of those did not make it, (my wife's favorite, an RIR) so back to the feed store for 3 more of them.
    Originally planned for 5, and now we have 10. I managed to double them :D. I think that's a good start!
    Since then, I have learned so much about chickens, and have become slightly obsessed I think. Now I have plans...
    I know that 7 of my 10 chicks are young cockerels, and we can only keep one! But I can't only have 4 chickens! That's not even as many as we planned to have!
    Hatcheries minimum orders start at 15 chicks, right?! :0

8. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Some of the places let you order less, but they charge, I beleive its cheaper to go withMORE

9. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Welcome TO CHICKEN MATH

10. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    For some unknown reason MORE chickens seems to induce a wild spending spree on....More chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by