Chicken Matthews survives another one - so far.

Wolfpacker

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Raleigh
This afternoon I came home from work and turned the chicks out into the back yard. In about 15 minutes I heard a lot of sqawking and went outside to find a small hawk on top of Chicken Matthews. (For those of you who don't know, Chicken Matthews only has one wing because something got her when she was only about 10 weeks old.) The brazen rascal tried to pick her up and fly off, but she was too heavy so he finally let to and flew up to a nearby tree, before I was able to shoo him away.

Chicken Matthews seemed to be in shock and had some blood in her beak, but that's all I could find. I brought her inside and put her alone for awhile and she finally stood up and started walking around and clucking, so I took her back outside for the night.

Anyone know how many lives chickens have? Chicken Matthews has used up two of hers. I'll let you know how she's doing in the morning.

I remember reading the post where you had to take her to the vet and she ended up with the name chicken Matthews ( I had to laugh at how she got named )

I dont know how many lives they have but WOW that girl is one lucky chicken ( and they say being alittle over weight is bad for you LOL )

glad to hear she is alright - how are you going to keep the hawk away?

Julie

She's a little stiff this morning and moving slowly, favoring her right side. But she's eating and drinking and hanging out with the other girls, so I hope she'll be OK.

I don't know how to keep that hawk away. I had no idea such a little bird would go after such a large one. My chickens appear to be about twice as big as he/she is and he couldn't fly away with her.

Bless her heart...and yours!!! I hope she recovers fully!!!
hugs.gif

We've had the exact same thing happen to us. A hawk was trying to fly off with Bitsy the Brahms. Bitsy was twice as big as this hawk, but it was still trying. If we hadn't come out just then, it could have killed her right there. I hate hawks! So glad chicken Mathews is okay!!

Back
Top Bottom