Chicken mauled by predator

ISophT

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 29, 2017
Our pet chicken was dragged from under the coop during the night on Sunday. We assumed she was dead. Our neighbor just came over and said she was hiding her bushes. She has a large gaping wound under her wing that smells bad. There’s a picture attached. is there anyway to save her?

Attachments

• 7696ED6E-7B98-4B2F-8EE8-5F621325C24D.jpeg
    7696ED6E-7B98-4B2F-8EE8-5F621325C24D.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 32
Poor girl. I'd rinse out the wound with saline water and cover with antibiotic ointment. Since it smells bad I'd guess infection has already set in and I would get her on a broad spectrum oral antibiotic like Baytril if possible. I'm really not sure what her chances are, but I have seen chickens make some amazing recoveries from some nasty wounds and if she has lasted this long I doubt she has organ damage, so if you can beat the infection I'd say she has a chance. Is she eating and drinking? I'd be make she is getting some fluids.

Poor girl. I'd rinse out the wound with saline water and cover with antibiotic ointment. Since it smells bad I'd guess infection has already set in and I would get her on a broad spectrum oral antibiotic like Baytril if possible. I'm really not sure what her chances are, but I have seen chickens make some amazing recoveries from some nasty wounds and if she has lasted this long I doubt she has organ damage, so if you can beat the infection I'd say she has a chance. Is she eating and drinking? I'd be make she is getting some fluids.
Where would I get the antibiotic? Thanks for the reply!

At Walmart, CVS, etc., you can buy Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine. I would use one of those to flush and clean the wound out really well.

Trim the feathers from around the wound so you can see it better and so they aren't sticking into the wound. Get more photos after clean up and trimming.

A very good cleaning out of the wound may take care of the odor and infection, but sometimes an oral antibiotic may be needed. Amoxicillin can be ordered online as can other antibiotics. If you have a local Mom/Pop feed store, you may luck up and find Amoxicillin, but usually it would need to be ordered.

IF badly infected, you can use Penicillin G which can still be found in most feed stores like TSC. You'll need some syringes and a pack of 20gauge needles as well. Dose is 1/4ml injected into the breast muscle 1/4" deep given once daily for 3-5 days alternating sides.

Once you clean that wound really well, then apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment.
Since the wound smells, clean/swab daily with the Chlorhexidine (preferred) or the Povidone Iodine until you can get meds started.

Work on hydration, give her a bit of sugar water or electrolytes for the first day or so. Once drinking, then offer some wet feed.

Update: Redda survived and seems to be doing very well! Thanks for all the advice on here. We gave her an antibiotic and kept the wound cleaned and covered with antibiotic cream. She is still in the house but she is chipper and seems happy and has even layed two eggs in the last three days. 😁
57875E54-CC0F-4481-A2B3-CA962F2C6239.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom