Chicken.. May not be a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crow9, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Crow9

Crow9 New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    So I have a Leghorn Rooster, Brahma Chicken, and a Pekin Duck that I've been taking care of, we've had them since Easter.. They have a doghouse with a locking door on it, plus a uncovered run. The rooster is the only one that can fly so he goes in and out of the run on his own free will. Last night I locked up the duck and chicken in their doghouse as usual.. And the rooster chose to sleep in his tree..

This morning when I went to let them out, the rooster had strayed a few feet from where he normally wonders so I thought it odd. I let the duck and chicken out and the chicken precedes to like mount the duck (stand on it's back) and bite behind it's head. All while the rooster (who usually jumps into the run at feeding time) refuses to come near and get his flock back into order.. So I bring the rooster up by hand and the chicken precedes to manhandle him (he's half the size). I of course break it up and have the chicken locked up by herself but I can't keep it that way forever. She's also being much more vocal (I had never heard her make a noise before), I think I may of even heard her crow.

I took a picture of the chicken in hopes that someone might be able to tell me if it's really a rooster, or if my chicken's attitude changed for no reason?

[​IMG]

2. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    The picture is a little blurry but compared to my lt. Brahma the comb is quite big and red and it looks like saddle feathers growing in. How old? Possibly a rooster then.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Think you've got another male there. You've never gotten eggs, right?

BTW, all chickens are chickens. When they are young, the females are called pullets and the males are called cockerels. After the one year mark, the males are called cocks or roosters and the females are called hens.

That said, mounting is as much a sign of dominance as it is a mating thing, sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The drooping saddle feathers, those feathers that droop like saddle bags, just in the front of the tail? Cockerel.

5. Crow9

Crow9 New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    Yeah.. Sorry, it was the best I could do.. And around 7 months

Nah, no eggs.. I've never had chickens before, so I'm not too experienced with them.. I just figured that it was getting too cold too early for them to lay or something lol

6. Simmonsfunnyfrm

Simmonsfunnyfrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Pope County, Arkansas
    Yep that's a cockerel. I had the same issue earlier this Spring with my light brahmas...thought one was just a dominant hen until I heard it crow.

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    That sure looks like a cockerel to me too.

A cockerel who is a little adventurous in his taste. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by