Chicken missing. No trace

That is my biggest fear with free ranging, I am always afraid something is going to happen to one of my chickens. So far we have been very lucky. I hope you find her safe and sound.

jenny,
Any news? We haven't seen our fox in a month....I have no ideas where it went, constantly worried that it will be back. BTW, your inbox is full, tried to send you a note. Write when you get a chance!
Lori

ANOTHER one gone!
Last night I went to count them at 8pm like always. I counted 12. Supposed to be 13. Counted again and again with a bit of panic in there.
Anyway, a barred rock is gone. Without a trace. I looked around the trees and heard something. I couldn't go in though not knowing what it might be. The kids were in watching tv and dh wasn't home. Call me a chicken, but I was thinking "what if something gets me?"
We are looking into a trap.
Any other ideas?

buy a live trap. You can get them at Lowe, Home Depot, and most farming stores or outdoor store. Put it in an area close to where it may be getting into your pen/coop and bait it. If you catch something, reset the trap because often if there is one in the area there will be more. Good Luck

DMK Ranch

Do you have a run for your chickens? This would be a really good time to keep them in, while you try to sort this out. I'd hate for you to keep losing chickens, now that it looks like your flock is being targeted by a predator. After you get this resolved, then they could go back out.

No we actually don't have a run for the chickens. Now would be a great time to get them into one.
I called a friend of mine. Her FIL is a game warden. Well, he was a gw. He just retired about a year ago. I am hoping he might know someone who has traps or even someone who will come over and trap this animal.

Live traps would be a great way to find out what is getting your birds, so you know how to defend them better.

I don't think they will necessarily solve the problem, though - if theres a type of predator around you willing to come take chickens, chances are that more like it will come even if you get rid of the particular one harassing them right now.

Definitely time for a run! You can always freerange them when you are home and outside with them to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom