Chicken missing. No trace

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
I went next door to a party for a bit last night. My chickens free range. When I came home at 8 to put them to bed I was missing a WL pullet. I ran around counting chickens over and over and searching for her. I got up first thing this morning and looked all over again. There is no sign of a struggle or anything like that. I guess I assumed if something killed her it would have left feathers or something. She was my fave WL too..
I wonder if a bird or prey could have grabbed her or something? I am a wreck because I never leave my chickens. One of us is ALWAYS home. I am thinking whatever is was will be back for more.

She could have wandered off too....or found a place to go broody. This would have happened even if you was home, so do not go there. That is the downer of free range, hawks can pick chickens right out of their pants without a trace.
Hope she is sitting broody somewhere! Take care! Kel

Thanks spook. I don't think she would have gone broody. She is only a little over 14 weeks old. I should have stated that in my first post.
I am keeping a close watch on my flock this morning.

A fox or a coyote will snatch a bird and leave no trace. A hawk or other bird of prey will leave feathers scattered around and often a partially eaten carcass. If its a fox that took your bird it WILL be back til you run out of groceries.

hugs.gif
I hope you find her!

I hope you find her alive and well. If she was taken by a predator it's most likely that that animal will come back so you want to be on extra high alert for the next few weeks.

I also think that a hawk would have left some feathers but my only experience with a hawk trying to take an animal was one trying to take my Pomeranian from my backyard (when we lived in town no less). I heard this awful cry from my dog and saw the shadow go across the kitchen window. I looked out to see the hawk taking off with my dog hunkered down on the ground crying. I ran out.... there was dog hair all around my dog on the ground and she had talon marks raked up both sides of her chest where the hawk had grabbed her. My dog healed quickly but was afraid for a long time to go outside alone.

A fox or coyote, or dog, could easily take a chicken and leave no trace. (I have experience with the dog part of that also.
sad.png
)

I had a chicken go missing last month. The neighbor found it and had it locked up in the garage. Keep the faith.

I went out and searched some more. Nothing.
I know it will be back. My cockerel seems to be on high alert today. He hasn't rested all day. I wonder if they are smart enough to notice someone is missing?
The worst part about it is that my kids play in a little (we call it and island) of trees near the chicken house. They said they saw a red Jaguar
wink.png
a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if it was a fox?
Anyway, we are on high alert. We are thinking about getting some sort of trap too.
Agh! I hate this feeling.

I am so sorry to hear that. I had the same thing happen about 2 weeks ago. She was taken off her nest at night with no trace and her 7 chicks were left. I think it had to be a fox or coyote for there not to be even a sign of a struggle. I hope yours is a happy ending.

Back
Top Bottom