Chicken missing part of her beak

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vickim, Nov 8, 2015.

1. vickim

vickim New Egg

Nov 8, 2015
    my chicken was attacked by a raccoon . Part of both of her upper and lower beak is missing and she can't close her mouth completely. She is able to drink however I'm not sure she's able to eat . Wondering if I can give her amoxicillin?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC.

Beak injuries will usually heal on their own. You may want to switch her to a mash (crumbles + water, and things like vitamins or electrolytes too if you have them) until her beak has healed a bit. I wouldn't say Amoxicillin is necessary but it can't do anything but help.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    While she is healing you may want to bribe her with hard boiled mashed egg yolk, warm oatmeal etc. plain yogurt- easy things to eat. I don't know if the missing parts will grow back, they don't on hatchery hens that have been de-beaked. But she should eat better when the soreness abates.

It would be a good idea to check out the predator threads and find out how to prevent more attacks.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on the softer foods until the soreness is gone. Are you asking about amoxicillin because she may have an infection from the raccoon injuries? If that's the case, I would give it to her. You can check with the emergency forum for dosages or further treatment:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Check out your coop so you can close off any little place where a raccoon could come back in. If you have a run, check that over and be sure the top is covered securely also.

Good luck to you and your girl!

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with your girl.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by