Chicken missing part of her beak

vickim

Hatching
Nov 8, 2015
my chicken was attacked by a raccoon . Part of both of her upper and lower beak is missing and she can't close her mouth completely. She is able to drink however I'm not sure she's able to eat . Wondering if I can give her amoxicillin?

Welcome to BYC.

Beak injuries will usually heal on their own. You may want to switch her to a mash (crumbles + water, and things like vitamins or electrolytes too if you have them) until her beak has healed a bit. I wouldn't say Amoxicillin is necessary but it can't do anything but help.

While she is healing you may want to bribe her with hard boiled mashed egg yolk, warm oatmeal etc. plain yogurt- easy things to eat. I don't know if the missing parts will grow back, they don't on hatchery hens that have been de-beaked. But she should eat better when the soreness abates.

It would be a good idea to check out the predator threads and find out how to prevent more attacks.

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on the softer foods until the soreness is gone. Are you asking about amoxicillin because she may have an infection from the raccoon injuries? If that's the case, I would give it to her. You can check with the emergency forum for dosages or further treatment:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Check out your coop so you can close off any little place where a raccoon could come back in. If you have a run, check that over and be sure the top is covered securely also.

Good luck to you and your girl!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with your girl.

Back
Top Bottom