Chicken moved in and they are very happy page 14

Quote:
Thats the best part. Plus figuring out how to use what you have. I am always recycling. I dont do construction but I do Dumpster dive.

Places I have gotten free stuf:

Garage doors. Garage door replacement companies often times here will even deliver the old door to you to save dump fees. 99 percent of a garage door is plywood. Some good latch hardware as well as those long tensioning bolts to stiffen the base. I use them whole to make walls. great horse shelters... For horses replace the nails with screws though.

Sheet metal manufacturing companies. They get their sheet metal on pallets that are 4 foot by 10 feet long. Some have two 4 x 4 x 10s some have 3. The slats are very soft and almost un-salvageable but the 4 x 4 s are very useful. Not pressure treated but There are ways around that. And used as posts without concrete... Just get some more. good for anything like benches and above ground stuff too. Last place I went was getting ready to chop them up with a chainsaw so they would go into their dumpster. They happily loaded about six of them on the back of my truck. The smaller pallets go for bonfires around here....

Stone and tile companies get some of their product packaged in wooden boxes. One place I got a number of chunks of countertop that had been broken. Beautiful granite. Makes great landscaping stones with moss planted between. Not good for walking on.... too slippery but pretty to look at. even then youcould lay the shiny side down.

Above ground swimming pools with the rigid walls made of plastic.... I have used those as fencing... but I have three more that I am going to use as either roofing or coop walls. The plastic is UV stabilized though soft it can be screwed onto wood using a washer to backup the screw. Definitely waterproof.

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Thats the best part. Plus figuring out how to use what you have. I am always recycling. I dont do construction but I do Dumpster dive.

Places I have gotten free stuf:

Garage doors. Garage door replacement companies often times here will even deliver the old door to you to save dump fees. 99 percent of a garage door is plywood. Some good latch hardware as well as those long tensioning bolts to stiffen the base. I use them whole to make walls. great horse shelters... For horses replace the nails with screws though.

Sheet metal manufacturing companies. They get their sheet metal on pallets that are 4 foot by 10 feet long. Some have two 4 x 4 x 10s some have 3. The slats are very soft and almost un-salvageable but the 4 x 4 s are very useful. Not pressure treated but There are ways around that. And used as posts without concrete... Just get some more. good for anything like benches and above ground stuff too. Last place I went was getting ready to chop them up with a chainsaw so they would go into their dumpster. They happily loaded about six of them on the back of my truck. The smaller pallets go for bonfires around here....

Stone and tile companies get some of their product packaged in wooden boxes. One place I got a number of chunks of countertop that had been broken. Beautiful granite. Makes great landscaping stones with moss planted between. Not good for walking on.... too slippery but pretty to look at. even then youcould lay the shiny side down.

Above ground swimming pools with the rigid walls made of plastic.... I have used those as fencing... but I have three more that I am going to use as either roofing or coop walls. The plastic is UV stabilized though soft it can be screwed onto wood using a washer to backup the screw. Definitely waterproof.

Thank you for this inside info, it is very useful to know more about how to get building materials for nothing and help the enviroment at the same time. I am so sick and tiered of people who do not care about this earth, and trust me I have seen so much going in dumpstor on job sites it is not even funny, last summer I got enough lumber from one project enough to build a whole garage, + don't mention the aluminum and the carpet and all kind of bolts and things I got from thier site, and they were very happy that I am hauling it off so they save money on dumpstors.
thank you again, I hope more members here will read this stuff and get Ideas on recyceling.
Omran​

Thats just stuff I have grabbed up for building animal pens....

I have gotten enough NEW carpet to make several cat trees. The same companies that do carpet also have those cardbord tubes the roll comes on. Cut to lenghth staple in some wood and you can fasten to a base. Those can be used for the poles for the cat trees. I draw the line on old carpet though. Dont want to handle it because of health concerns. LOL but I did have an eccentric aunt that carpeted her back yard... When it would disintegrate she would put a ""new layer"" on. looked kind of cool. No weeds. Kind of like an aerial map of farm land with colors.

Old car tires have a biziillian uses from structural retaining walls. Good for making rammed earth house walls too. But they can be used for feeders. If you can cut them into strips they would make indestructable shingles. Heavy.... like terracotta tiles...

Heck I have even seen old tires cut and reassembled to make horse shaped swings for the kids.

I used a Big old tractor tire when I was breaking my mare to drive. When she would drag it around it would fill up a mound of dirt inside and by the time she was done it probably weighed about eight nine hundred pounds. I always thought of using that at my new house to groom the road. The sad part for me is I cant walk along any more. So much easier to throw on a minimal amount of harness hitch up and go.... Now I have to hitch the forecart first with all the harness for safety. But still we could do the tire behind the forecart. I just need help hitching....

Hi, Today I did a little painting om=n the coop, but I still has the inside to finish I can't wait to post final pictures.
The heat makes me almost refuse to do any thing when I get home, because I work all day and every day out side under the weather, and when it is so hot you just don't feel like doing any thing.
Any way I am going to keep you updated.
thanks Omran.

Quote:
Danke shön, es ist immer gut auf Deutsch zu schreiben, vielleicht kann ich noch wieder mein Deutsch praktzieren.
Kommst Du aus Deutschland, oder hast Du Deutsch in der Schule gelehrnt?
Ich danke Dir sehr und höffe von Dir wieder zu lesen.
Bis bald
Omran

I can understand it, but not talk it. Maybe as a kid, I was only allowed to listen to the adults!
smile.png

Quote:
Danke shön, es ist immer gut auf Deutsch zu schreiben, vielleicht kann ich noch wieder mein Deutsch praktzieren.
Kommst Du aus Deutschland, oder hast Du Deutsch in der Schule gelehrnt?
Ich danke Dir sehr und höffe von Dir wieder zu lesen.
Bis bald
Omran

I can understand it, but not talk it. Maybe as a kid, I was only allowed to listen to the adults!
smile.png

It just happen that I had to study in Germany when I was 23 years old and I had no other choice but to learn German to be able to get into college, BTW my Mother Languge is Arabic and I know that I make a lot of mistakes when I write English but I am still learning, so please forgive me when I write like some one who never was at school before.
lol.png
lol.png

You did a great job there, Omran! I know it's been brutally hot in KY lately. A friend lost 14 birds, most of her laying flock, in one day to the heat, in spite of giving them cold watermelon, etc, just an hour before. Because that loss is so fresh in my mind, I just want to make sure you have plenty of ventilation in that super new coop. It's so blasted hot, even here in the mtns at my elevation, that it's an all day job just keeping birds alive. We sure need a break!

By the way, you write English extremely well, no apologies necessary!

Quote:
Cynrhia, thank you very much my friend, I have plenty ventilation for this new coop, I have 4 windows and 10'x2'x24' opening in front of the coop( where the Overhang located) it will be covered by hardware cloth.
I will try to add more pictures tomorrow after I get back from work.
Today I finished the nesting boxes from inside and finished painting the outside, I can't wait to take more opictures.
lol.png

Well, we can't wait to see more pictures! You did a great job on that new coop. I'm just so paranoid about ventilation after all the losses. Looked like you had enough, but can never be too careful in this brutal heat. Almost lost my own Delaware rooster (in my avatar) today. He turned dark purple and couldn't breathe for a few seconds due to the high heat index. It's scary sometimes! Full time job keeping them alive right now.

Back
Top Bottom