Chicken mysteriously disappeared while I was in the yard with her

I had an issue with a coyote that killed several birds and an owl that also killed some birds which were my Rhode Island Whites. I had a male and two females left to build up my Rhode Island white flock back up with. I shot the coyote but only had bird shot in my gun. It dropped the bird it had but she died the next day. I'm sure I hit it as it took off. With the owl I had fishing line over the pens which was replaced with heavy duty netting. When I moved the birds after the owl attack the male was very bloody and very freaked out and there was blood everywhere. One of the females has a damaged comb, but they survived.
IMG_4049.JPG

A camera is a good idea! I've gotta add that to my list.
I have several on my property with some around the coops. When I first put them up I was surprised at the predators that roam around here especially at night. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and nothing has gotten past the hot wires. Every morning I make my rounds to switch out the memory cards and to check on the birds.

she went missing the night before and the feathers showed up the next day so like others have suggested she went off and hid in a bush.

Whatever got it in the night, no chicken is safe outside at night, just be glad the ones left open till 1 am were fine.

Back
Top Bottom