Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Myth/rumor: Round eggs hatch pullets.
Story: I have no idea where this idea originated.
True or false: true in my experience.
Evidence: when I regularly hatched out chicks I set round eggs and the batch was only (at most) 1/8 cockerels. There was definitely more than one variable so I really can't say for sure wether it's true or false. Lots of people swear by it though.

Myth/rumor: Round eggs hatch pullets.
Story: I have no idea where this idea originated.
True or false: true in my experience.
Evidence: when I regularly hatched out chicks I set round eggs and the batch was only (at most) 1/8 cockerels. There was definitely more than one variable so I really can't say for sure wether it's true or false. Lots of people swear by it though.
I have to remember this!

I have to remember this!
You should give it a go next time you hatch 😁
I really wish I could go back and also set a clutch of the pointier eggs. Having control groups and only one variable makes a huge difference.
I still have all the roos, they're kinda my pets/pest control. There weren't even enough of them to justify pulling out my butchering equipment. There were a ton of pullets who were given to friends, or sold. I would try it again if I wasn't so busy with other animals.

Myth/Rumor: Easter Eggers (EEs) Lay Purple Eggs.
Story: Many Hatcheries say that EEs lay blue, green, pink, and "purple" eggs. I think they say that hoping to help sell the breed, but anyone who knows EEs, knows what they lay. Plus, the "purple" adds to the "Easter" Egger concept.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've owned plenty of EEs over the years. I've seen blue, green and pink (rare and is light pink to tan) eggs, but have never seen a purple egg laid by an EE yet.

diatomaceous earth and/or apple cider vinegar both have gotten some myths of being some cure all miracle cures. You name it and somebody is gonna try to claim one or the other cures it. The fact of the matter is DE has been proven to cause respiratory issues in both chickens and people. I've yet to see any proven evidence either do anything good for fowl.

diatomaceous earth and/or apple cider vinegar both have gotten some myths of being some cure all miracle cures. You name it and somebody is gonna try to claim one or the other cures it. The fact of the matter is DE has been proven to cause respiratory issues in both chickens and people. I've yet to see any proven evidence either do anything good for fowl.
I used DE once because I was told it would work for the situation. A couple of days later, I found a perfectly healthy chicken dead. Never dared used it since.

I used DE once because I was told it would work for the situation. A couple of days later, I found a perfectly healthy chicken dead. Never dared used it since.
Yep but somebody gonna chime in about how their great granny's uncle sue made his chickens snort a line of it 3 times daily and they laid 4 eggs a day because of it. They put 3 shots of ACV in the chickens water and now they do college calculus.

Hearing a cock crow at midnight means a pending death... in my half century of raising chickens there have been six deaths in the family within a week of hearing a rooster crow at midnight. Maybe just a coincidence...

My rooster crows in the wee hours all the time. The in-town one even more. I doubt there's a week goes by without a midnight crow.

Back
Top Bottom