Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Don't forget the biggest myth we all have heard. Brown eggs taste better than white eggs
I sold eggs at the local farmers market for several years, & yes there were always some that wanted all brown eggs "because they taste better."
On the flip side, there were always some that wanted all blue eggs because "blue eggs have less cholesterol."
I started cracking eggs of different colors in a bowl (and left the shells in the bowls too) so people could see that although the eggs were different colors on the outside, they were all the same on the inside. Once people saw the white leghorn jumbo eggs also had rich golden yolks, they wanted those too!

Myth: You can't eat fertile eggs!
Whereabouts: Not sure where people heard of this, I always assumed it was superstition, but maybe not.
True/false: False

I'll add to this. I've had more than one person think because I have a rooster with my hens the eggs all have baby chicks in them. Waste an egg on the ground in front of them and it normally shuts them up.

Myth: You have to cut the chickens wings off so they don't fly away.
Origin: A friends 5 year old asked me this question once. 😂 Not sure where he heard it from, but that was the first time I've heard that before.
True/False: False, obviously!

You trim the flight feathers on one wing (called clipping a wing) to limit a chickens ability to fly. It doesn't stop them from being able to fly just makes it harder so they often won't.
At 5 they might have mistook what they heard and though it meant to actually cut the wings off. That will stop them from flying tho.

This thread is for all the chicken myths and rumors that we have all heard. Some MIGHT be true, whereas others, most likely not. Please be kind if you find someone who disagrees with you, and provide evidence (if possible) to back up your statement. Feel free to share as many chicken Myths/Rumors that you want to! Hopefully there'll be a chance to learn something new, and have a good time as well. :)

~Form~

Myth/Rumor:
Story:
True or False:
Evidence:

Here's the first chicken Myth/Rumor I'm wanting to share.:

Myth/Rumor: Broody hens produce milk.
Story: I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that broody hens produce milk for their chicks. They pluck their chest feathers (true) and have milk droplets come off their skin (false) to feed their chicks.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've had plenty of hens hatch out chicks. If this was true, the chicks would be often wet when I pick them up from under their mother. Also, their down might not be so fluffy either.
:love :highfive: A very good point indeed!

You trim the flight feathers on one wing (called clipping a wing) to limit a chickens ability to fly. It doesn't stop them from being able to fly just makes it harder so they often won't.
Yes, I've heard of that before. But cutting the wing clear off sounds a little extreme if you ask me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom