Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
Well at least people will be afraid to enter your property:) But I heard geese are better
My Xeljanz Rx is delivered to my house every month via FedEx. The FedEx guy was walking inside the fence, placing my package on the porch at the door and even knocking before walking away when I had my 4 big ducks in the fence. I started keeping my Barred bantam Cochin rooster (the absolute sweetest rooster on earth that adored people) in the fence and my package was suddenly being left outside the fence..... I thought maybe we had a new delivery person, but nope, same guy. In fact, I believe he started delivering to my back door to avoid the roosters and then discovered another rooster....... I'm good with FedEx driver leaving it wherever he feels comfortable but I thought to myself, this guy has probably been flogged at some point in his life. Your post reminded me of that ☺️

Last edited:
Myth/Rumor: Chickens can't fly
Story: People assume that because they are seen on the ground and in pens, means they can't fly
True Or False: Fruse (True x False), for some breeds it's true and others it's false. Lighter breeds can fly
Evidence: One of my little D'Uccles flew 20 meters without touching the ground, onto the bird averey, and into the chicken pen. :confused:
Hehe yeah, my game chickens have flown about 50 meters in length and fly to the trees in one jump up to 2-3 meters. I love my flying girls. Our rooster once chased off a falcon and flew a bit after it, it never again tried to attack them in the same manner :D

Hehe yeah, my game chickens have flown about 50 meters in length and fly to the trees in one jump up to 2-3 meters. I love my flying girls. Our rooster once chased off a falcon and flew a bit after it, it never again tried to attack them in the same manner :D
That's great! (Poor falcon though) One of my chickens attacked my dog, and since then he hasn't touched a chicken.

Myth/Rumor: Chickens are only good for two years
Story: A laying hen only lays till they're two years old. After that, they're useful for only stew, and will never lay again.
True or False: False
Evidence: I used to believe that, until I discovered that hens lay good to 2 years, slow down maybe a little, but still lay good till they're 3 years old. After that, they slow down a lot, but will still continue for the rest of their life. Only as they get older, they might only lay an egg once a week, to once a month.

Depends on the definition of "good for" and if you're talking averages or specific individuals. :)

Myth/Rumor: You can tell the difference between blood in chicken poop and shed intestinal lining by putting the poop in water. If the blood dissolves and the water turns pink, it's blood, whereas intestinal lining won't dissolve so easily in water.

I came across this one recently here: https://polystead.com/red-chicken-poop/. I would love to know whether or not this works since coccidiosis is such a common concern. Has anyone tried it?

But if that was true wouldnt they remember the flock if they were separated for say a week but after putting it back they fight...so I really dont believe they remember faces
They remember, but the pecking order has already changed by 1 week. No hen in the "current" flock wants to give up their place, so of course they're going to fight over it.

oh I have one!

Myth/Rumor: Multiple chicks hatch out of an egg
Story: I was telling a friend about a hatching and they asked "How many chickens?" They really thought that multiple chicks were in one egg. It took me forever to convince them otherwise
True or False: FALSE
Evidence: 1 yolk=1 chicken
Unless you didn't know it was a double or triple yolk egg and then they "happen" to hatch.

I know how that feels. At least, when they do, I know the time :)
With my first 3 cockerels I used to think it was sooo adorable when they would crow. I would actually toss a treat to them anytime they would crow in my presence. It didn't take long for them to understand how to work their large wierdo food/treat dispenser (me!). Any roosters that have joined us since quickly figure it out. My roosters free range during the day and my youngest 2 have figured out how to get a good look into the house windows trying to find me. They go from window to window looking and crowing over and over hoping to spot the food/treat dispenser. Whenever they do finally spot me, it's on. They will continously crow, looking for ways to get closer or crow louder 😂 They'll also walk up to my shop door that's glass and peek in while crowing looking for me. I groom dogs and you'd think they would be hesitant to be peeking in the door in fear of a dog but I guess treats outweigh the risk. My clients always get a kick out of the roosters being all in the doorway trying to get my attention. If I didn't immediately close the door behind myself, I feel like I'd probably have some fat shop roosters 🤣 I must say that it makes for a really cute scene to see them looking through the glass door while I'm working. I really love a nice rooster and all of their noises 💜

To fit in with the thread instead of just replying ~maybe~ I can make my post fit somewhat.
*I've heard the reference "bird brained" and I'd associate that with something that wasn't smart at all. From what I've noticed it seems that some birds are intelligent, especially for the size of their brain. I know that some say it's natural instinct, and I agree somewhat. It just seems that some are more intelligent than others. The more I think about this, I can see how maybe it's more natural instinct and a chicken's strong desire for food and/or treats that's behind my post, but it just seems that some of my birds are more bird brained than others 🤣

Back
Top Bottom