Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
Myth/Rumor: Easter Eggers (EEs) Lay Purple Eggs.
Story: Many Hatcheries say that EEs lay blue, green, pink, and "purple" eggs. I think they say that hoping to help sell the breed, but anyone who knows EEs, knows what they lay. Plus, the "purple" adds to the "Easter" Egger concept.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've owned plenty of EEs over the years. I've seen blue, green and pink (rare and is light pink to tan) eggs, but have never seen a purple egg laid by an EE yet.
I have a hen which’s lays purple eggs, she is an f2 cross between a f1 cross Marans/green layer x another mixture ( a light brown hungarin partridge hen was also in play) had too many eggs to be sure
FDE253A3-9B72-476E-9A3C-2F67E30FF07D.jpeg
which mixture exactly gave that egg color :(
411D267E-6498-40E3-A99F-D3A249B56365.jpeg

Chicken Myth/Rumor True or False:
It is worth paying more for chicken meat labeled "Hormone-free" or "Grown without hormones", since chicken carrying this label is healthier.

False. Added hormones have not been allowed in poultry production since the 1950s. The label is simply marketing ploy.
^This is true.^ :goodpost:

This thread is for all the chicken myths and rumors that we have all heard. Some MIGHT be true, whereas others, most likely not. Please be kind if you find someone who disagrees with you, and provide evidence (if possible) to back up your statement. Feel free to share as many chicken Myths/Rumors that you want to! Hopefully there'll be a chance to learn something new, and have a good time as well. :)

~Form~

Myth/Rumor:
Story:
True or False:
Evidence:

Here's the first chicken Myth/Rumor I'm wanting to share.:

Myth/Rumor: Broody hens produce milk.
Story: I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that broody hens produce milk for their chicks. They pluck their chest feathers (true) and have milk droplets come off their skin (false) to feed their chicks.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've had plenty of hens hatch out chicks. If this was true, the chicks would be often wet when I pick them up from under their mother. Also, their down might not be so fluffy either.
You mean there are people out there who really think that birds have some sort of mammary glands? And that newly hatched chicks have cheeks and can suckle? Good Lord. We are doomed.

Last edited:
Myth: All males are human agressive
True/False: False
Evidence: I have over 2 dozen males that, while not cuddlebugs, are certainly not human aggressive
I hand-raised my roosters from day two. Four were adopted as sweet pets, and the one I kept dances for me morning and evening. He'll let me pick him up when he's not busy with hens, and sometimes will sit in my lap while I preen him.

Back
Top Bottom