Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
Myth/Rumor: Chickens can't fly
Story: People assume that because they are seen on the ground and in pens, means they can't fly
True Or False: Fruse (True x False), for some breeds it's true and others it's false. Lighter breeds can fly
Evidence: One of my little D'Uccles flew 20 meters without touching the ground, onto the bird averey, and into the chicken pen. :confused:
I had a little Bantam get out and fly over my neighbor’s one story house. 4 of us saw it.

Myth: Only roosters wake you up in the morning.

I know a little d'Uccle hen......
Who wakes the household with a noise like this: AKAKAKAKKAKAKAKakkakakakakakakaakKK
When I used to allow my ladies to be out and about all the time they would come to the back porch and “crow” because they wanted breakfast. Waking me up!

Big time false. If you trim them they compensat.

Depends on the chicken.

I can ground my most adventurous Marans by trimming the primaries on one wing.

I haven't figured out how to ground my leggy, rangy, lightweight cull Blue Australorp cockerel. I've clipped all the flight feathers on both wings and he still got out of the grow-out pen twice yesterday.

I think you're supposed to put Vaseline on a chicken's comb before they get frostbite on super cold nights or whatever..... it helps prevent it.
I think as best I can discern is that it primarily works to keep moisture off the comb so allows the comb to keep itself warm without the water draining the heat and allowing frost bite.

Back
Top Bottom