Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
There's a place in China (?) Thats known for their double yolks. They've been selectively breeding their birds to lay doubles for a hiant majority of their egg laying days
Wow, I didn’t know that! That’s cool! I wonder how hatching would go for these chicks? Does one do all the pipping/zipping? Is there a higher mortality rate with the chicks - because one is (probably) further away from the air sac?

Wow, I didn’t know that! That’s cool! I wonder how hatching would go for these chicks? Does one do all the pipping/zipping? Is there a higher mortality rate with the chicks - because one is (probably) further away from the air sac?
I have no clue. The article i read didnt explain anymore than that any single yolked eggs eere sorted out through candling and sold as a lower grade

Myth: Feeding your chickens hot oatmeal in the morning is a great breakfast for them, especially in the winter.

Fact: all oats contain beta glucans, an anti nutritive factor. While some oats aren’t bad, they should be used in moderation. What I’ve read generally recommends between 30-40% of their diet. If their regular feed already contains oats, giving them a big steaming plateful in the morning is likely to tip them over that threshold. If you want to serve them a hot breakfast, you’re probably better off soaking their regular feed in hot water and making a mash.

https://afs.ca.uky.edu/poultry/using-oats-poultry-diets

Rumor/myth: cedar shavings are toxic to chickens, only use pine shavings.

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I kept hearing it repeated on dozens of the ‘how to take care of chickens’ I read when I was first getting into chickens. I’ve never seen anything that seems to substantiate it though. Cedar shavings are definitely more expensive, so I wouldn’t be inclined to buy them just so my chickens can poop on them. Still, pine shavings are aromatic as well, so it makes me wonder . . . does anyone have information on this?

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I kept hearing it repeated on dozens of the ‘how to take care of chickens’ I read when I was first getting into chickens. I’ve never seen anything that seems to substantiate it though. Cedar shavings are definitely more expensive, so I wouldn’t be inclined to buy them just so my chickens can poop on them. Still, pine shavings are aromatic as well, so it makes me wonder . . . does anyone have information on this?
My chickens seemed to sneeze less after I changed from cedar to pine.

There's a place in China (?) Thats known for their double yolks. They've been selectively breeding their birds to lay doubles for a hiant majority of their egg laying days
I have no clue. The article i read didnt explain anymore than that any single yolked eggs eere sorted out through candling and sold as a lower grade
That is so interesting, & I wasn't clear if double-yolk eggs are actually being hatched, or if birds laying double-yolk eggs are simply being selected for.

I was compelled to look the issue up. Turns out the double-yolkers are duck eggs. And the females are artificially selected for their tendency to lay double yolk eggs, which has increased the overall double-yolk lay rate.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/eggs-with-two-yolks

Another good thinker. I too had always heard that cedar shavings are toxic; use pine instead. Then I started reading that pine shavings are also toxic. I said to myself "whatever" and continued to use pine. But your question caused me to want to look that issue up too.

I read two articles that essentially said the same thing. Cedar shavings cause liver damage in mammals, but in birds the evidence is not as clear. I chose the article below to post since title of article is directly relevant to this thread.:)

https://bitchinchickens.com/2020/12...ar-shavings-toxic-to-chickens/comment-page-1/

Back
Top Bottom