Chicken naps? My Silkie hen is really odd - should I be concerned?

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
My poor old dog is dying so for the last few weeks I have been driving home every day durring my lunch break to give him meds. I usually do not get to see my chickens in the middle of the day but with the dog situation I now do.

My silkie is always out in the yard doing her thing in the morning when I go take care of them and in the evening when I get home but whenever I see her in the middle of the day is on her little roost sleeping. It's like she needs a nap in the middle of the day. If I call her name she will come down and get a snack but otherwise she just roosts. It seems really odd.

She has born on the first of the year and has yet to lay eggs. She is my only breeder quality hen from a show silkie breeder and I have heard they take longer to mature. She is also my first silkie so I am not sure what the right expectations are but it is starting to feel very late.

She has also recently started to attack my dogs. She is too small and silly to do any damage but she will charge them like she thinks she is very tough. They ignore her. This is a recent development and she always gotten along fine with them in the past.

She otherwise seems friendly and active and healthy. But, all of these things combined make me feel like something is weird. Or, maybe my bird is just weird. Any thoughts? Do any of your chickens take naps?

Mine def. do-- they get let out in the AM @ 7 then by noon or 1pm they are all nesting in the grass(eyes shut, cept for Mr Roo) or in the back of the yard under the cover of the berry bushes-- midday siesta (not sure where they will go once its snowy/ wet- maybe in the coop) they dont roost during the day b/c they tend to stay out of the coop unless they are frightened of something....

Back
Top Bottom