Chicken Needs Glasses? Please Help!

Spiffy

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Hi All,
I have a question about a broody hen. First let me tell you about her.

1. She is a wild chicken (Hawaii).

2. She was given to me as a chick and her leg was hurt and she could not walk.

3. I nursed her and gave her good food and finally she was able to walk again. She is a “pet”.

4. She goes outside and pecks around the ground. She stays clear of the other wild chickens around my house; however a rooster did “get her” a few time (or more).

5. She is about a year old and started laying eggs a few months ago.

6. She would not sit on any of the eggs that she laid in the previous months (about 30 in all).

7. She did decide to stay on her last egg (only one) and stayed on it for 21 days and it did not hatch. She kept sitting on the egg for a few more days and I decided to take it away.

8. She will not leave the nest (even though there is no more egg) except to eat a little bit and drink even less.

9. HOWEVER yesterday when I took her out of the pen she did not like it and pecked me a few times.

10. The Question!!!

She pecks at her food on the ground but she is coming up short of touching it. She is really hungry and she just pecks at the air above the food. I have tried giving her everything and even holding it in front of her and beside her, but she seems to just miss getting the food. It is like she can’t judge where the food is located at so that she can eat it.

Another thing

She can judge a little better when drinking, when I hold a dish of water for her to drink but she still has a hard time drinking (puts her beak in the water too far).
And
She can pick at a towel on the ground and wipe her beak on the ground; she just can’t judge where the food is at.

Symptoms:
1. Can’t judge where her food is at, on the ground or held in front or beside her.

2. Can drink, when I hold the dish for her and when it is on the ground, however she does have a hard time judging the depth of the water and sometimes gets her beak into the water too far.

3. Her poo is sometimes watery dependant on the amount of liquid she consumes; it has not been formed for a while since she has been a broody. There is little to none of the little green lumpy substance in it. There is no blood in her poo. When I can get her to eat a bit, her poo has some green and a little white but still a little watery.

4. Her comb and waddle are pale, and her comb is “shriveled” (it used to stand up). I assumed this was from brooding and it has gotten a little better, but not like before.

5. She stretches her wings and flaps them and walks around the porch. However her walking and balance seem off and her “bad leg” a little weaker, she still scratches pretty well, but as I said her “bad leg” seems a bit weak and her toes on that foot do not work ( curl under) as good as they did before.

She still wants to stay in her “hatching house” and returns to it after her morning walk and “breakfast” (when I can get her to see the food).

She is still acting broody.

The day before she got sick she was fine no problem except for maybe a little weakness because of her trying to hatch her egg. She did eat a gecko (small lizard) ( the day before she “got goofy) that was dead.
It could have not been dead for too long as it was still soft looking and she got to it before I could pick it up.

Does anyone know what this might be from?? I am so worried about her and I have no idea what happened to her and why she is acting like she needs glasses!
She is an “in house” chicken and no other animals have been near her or hurt her in any way. It is just like she needs “seeing glasses “to judge where her food is at.
PLEASE PLEASE- If anyone can help me I would appreciate it so very, very much!
Thank you,
Spiffy’s Mom

P.S.

Today I made some baby cereal with vitamin drops (UltraVite- Vita- Sol: 8-1 brand for birds) added and feed her from a syringe. She did not enjoy it; however I want to make sure she eats.

She loves all kinds of food: Vienna sausage, ravioli, ramen (cooked), rice (cooked), corn from a can, soup (homemade) also she likes to eat her chicken scratch, really she will eat just about anything.

It sounds like she's just weak from being broody. Lock her up in a wire bottom cage for a few days with nothing solid for her to nest on. Does she have a crest? Are her eyes clear and bright? Or are they clouded or gray? Is the pupil still circular? It could be an ocular form of Marek's Disease. Just practice good supportive therapy and get her weight back up. If she declines any further, let us know. Good luck!
smile.png

Hens often act broody for days after the eggs are removed. I was even wondering if that can go on for up to 21 days (though that does't seem like a very good survival/procreation stategy). On to her eyesight. That is weird. You said she was a "wild" chicken - her eyes aren't covered by feathers, right?. Maybe try a couple sunflower seeds on top of her food and see if she is stimulated by the sight of those. Toss her a bug/worm to see if movement helps. Sorry - no better ideas.

Aloha Courtney,

Thank you for the suggestions and I will do what you suggest. She does have a crest and it is small however when she went broody it did “shrink” quite a bit. Her eyes are clear and bright, I have seen no changes in them EXCEPT that before she got sick there seemed to be more focusing (widening, and shrinking pupil when “looking at” anything) going on then there is now. The pupil is still circular and there is no cloudiness or grey in her eyes. I was thinking about getting some Pedialyte
00ae.png
and giving her a bit of that in a diluted form. Thank you again for all your help.

Spiffy’s Mom
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24918_spiffy6.jpg

Aloha thebritt,
Spiffy laid her egg on the 8th February and I counted the 21 days and then left her egg in for around 5 days, and then I removed it. Her eyes are not covered by feathers and I will post a few links. I have tried everything even holding her beloved ravioli in front of her and beside her. She will wait below me while I cut up her treats and if I am not quick enough she will grab hold of my shorts to let me know to hurry up. She is still doing this but when I give her anything she just misses it. It would be like a human having a spoon in their hand and dipping it in a bowl but never reaching the soup in the bowl, just kind of dipping the spoon above the liquid. I will toss her a cockroach (sorry but they are plentiful over here and she LOVES them) and see how well she does with that and then post the results. Thanks for the ideas, any help that anyone can provide is a great help!

Thank you,
Spiffy’s Mom

Wild Chickens
http://www.govisithawaii.com/2008/07/07/why-does-kauai-have-so-many-wild-chickens/

http://www.kauaicountryinn.com/Pages-1/Kauaian.html

Spiffy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24918_spiffy6.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24918_spiffy_avi.jpg

thebritt - I've had hens go broody for months. Some are just determined to hatch rotten eggs or even imaginary eggs. Yeah, doesn't make much sense biologically, but kudos for determination I guess.
big_smile.png

Spiffy - odd. The electrolytes are great idea. Try to find some at your local feed store, they have poultry specific electrolytes that have vitamins added in too. They're cheap, around $3-5. I'd boost the protein in her diet to 22% by the way, it'll help her get back up to weight.

Does Spiffy also have layer food and/or some kind of wild game bird maintenance food with oyster shell available at all times? If not, ensure that she has these things available to her every day.
Try also getting Avia Charge 2000 (from McMurray or somewhere else that carries it - you can order on line) and put a bit in her water daily. It will help ensure that she gets the nutrients she needs.
These nutritional things may or may not help with her depth perception/vision but they will hopefully strengthen her generally.
JJ

Aloha JJ,
I do not feed Spiffy layer food, I just did not think that I needed to because I really never thought about raising her for her egg production ( a bonus now that I think about it) and I really did not think that she would ever want to sit on any of her eggs.

This is because as soon as she laid them she would squawk and run off as if to say get that thing away from me. Only this last time and only one egg did she want to try and hatch it.

I do give her wild bird food also but she does not care too much for it. She likes to eat bugs of all kinds and she does go out to eat and scratch right in the front of the house.

She flies down from the porch and I go down and open the door for her. When she is done doing her thing she comes in the house and comes upstairs. She used to just hang out in the house and roost on different places, However she really prefers to sit on a chair or the couch as her toes do not grip good because of the injury she received as a chick. But now I cant seem to get her out of her "hatching house". I am going to take Courtney’s advice and remove her nesting material and see if that prompts her to leave her house, as is most of the time I have to reach in and bring her out.

I bought grit for her and there are seashells that she breaks apart and eats outside. However after reading your reply I went out and bought oyster shells yesterday and will put them in her food each day.

I bought a bag of “durvet” brand (Vitamins & Electrolytes) and am making her a batch today. The feed stores we have here are small and do not carry to many items. Thank you for all your help and I will keep posting about my dear Spiffy and her health.
Thank you,
Spiffy’s Mom

Back
Top Bottom