Chicken Neophyte

ShamoLuv

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2017
Madison County, GA
Hi Hi Hi to all peeps! :frow Well, I'm fresh off the boat when it comes to chickens, per se, but I have a good mind, a strong will, an able body and most importantly, endless love in my heart and soul...so with that combo, I'm ready for my new adventure!

I don't have any chickens...yet. I will be getting very soon a young, 10-12 week old O Shamo rooster/stag. So I wanted to join here now and do my homework on everything I can learn beforehand so that I am all set and ready when he comes. Just want to be prepared with all the right things in advance :D I already posted some specific inquiries/questions I have about them elsewhere before I found this spot to introduce myself, so I've been goin about this all bass-ackwards, sorry about that!

I've had so many animals all throughout my life, it's impossible to list them all! Currently I have 3 geese that I've hand-raised from babyhood, one is 2yr old gander, other two are 4yr old gals. I've been a wildlife rehabber, zoo volunteer with raptors, the list of animals just goes on and on and on, never ends, lol. My animals are my family, my friends, my kids, my everything, my world. Let me be clear about myself: I will NEVER eat, kill, trade, sell or abandon ANY of my animals. I respect others' opinions, thoughts, practices and styles, but this is mine so I hope it's respected. My babies are my babies :love

I'm a veterinarian (forced to retire way too early due to health reasons, enough said on that!) so I have high hopes I will fair well with my O Shamo. Additionally, graduate level education in animal behavior & physiology (marine mammal focus) and also did 1 year PhD in Ecology but quit on the spot the second I was accepted into vet school. That said, I really do genuinely seek others' advice, thoughts, views and experiences, all of which I consider extremely valuable and helpful. Where I feel necessary, I ask for expert input, not meaning or intending to offend or disrespect anyone at all in any way whatsoever....only because I'm so concerned about doing all the right things perfectly and not missing something important... because I am the ignorant one on chickens. I have treated a small number of injured chickens, but I've never kept one as a pet...this is new for me.

Anyway, thank you ALL sooooooo very much in advance for anything you feel like sharing with me, I GREATLY appreciate it!!!! The little O Shamo roo I'm getting stole my heart immediately, I can't wait til he arrives!!! I am madly in love with him already!!! I just need and want to make absolutely sure I am prepared properly and have everything he needs before he gets here!

Julie

Thanks everyone, I am so pleased to be here! :weeI so look forward to learning a great deal more than I already know! I hope anything I may share will make people happy or be helpful to them.

Peace out for now, gotta go do goose chores! Besides, I miss hangin with them even though they are literally ~2 ft away right outside my window, lol. Yeah, I know, I'm such a lush...and they know it!

You've probably already found this write-up, but thought you'd find it interesting. I am not an o shamo person--but I do heritage breeds. I have the Sustainable Poultry Network feed guidelines, if you'd like them pm me.:pop

Yep, I saw that, but thank you anyway! That's very kind of you. I will pm you, I am wanting to know the specifics of O Shamo dietary needs/feeds and at each age stage or special situations such as molting. Thanks!!

:welcome

It's nice to have you join us! Do you have plans to give your rooster a flock of ladies? He may appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom