Chicken nest box plans

garyat1965

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
Michigan
Recently we modified two small buildings (each about 8x12) into chicken coops, and I'm looking for nest box plans for 6 hole nest boxes for each coop. We have about 45 chickens--Rhode Island REds, Wyandottes, Rocks, New Hampshire reds, --and are looking for best egg production.

Anyone have easy to follow 6 hole nest box plans for installation inside the coop?

Also, being in Michigan, should we consider insulating the coops? We will have lights on a timer in fall/winter.
Thanks for your help. We are new to this forum--

Gary

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you are here!
frow.gif

I don't have plans for the nest boxes, but this might help you on your insulation question. I'll add the ventilation one too since I think they kind of go together.

Pat’s Winter Coop Temperatures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s Ventilation
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

I just used that cheap plywood they use on roofs. It's about 5.99 at HD. Make the boxes 4 ft wide about 15" deep and the opening in front about 12" with a 3" lip in the front like those cat litter buckets have. Make the back around 18" high so the top is slanted. Use some furring strips in the corners to screw too. I also used 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth for the bottom. Screw to the wall and fill with shavings.

Be sure you have ventilation. I left my eaves open and put light plywood in as a ceiling with some holes in it. That allows the wind to blow through the eaves and suck the bad air out. The boards keep the snow out of the coop. Windows on 3 sides covered with hardware cloth.

By the way. We tried 5 gallon round buckets and they didn't use them. The cat litter buckets look doable though.

Quote:
And you have standard-sized chickens? Your girl looks like one of mine. I have a couple of litter pails lying around, but they seemed smallish to me.

Free and plenty easy to clean, too!

Back
Top Bottom