Chicken nesting box

How do I keep my six month old chickens from pooping in their nesting box?

• ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I do check on them right before they go in and no I haven't checked on them after they go in and see how they are roosting. I guess I need to do that.

I do check on them right before they go in and no I haven't checked on them after they go in and see how they are roosting. I guess I need to do that.
If you don't want them sleeping(and pooping) in the nest, yes you do.
I always do a head count and often handle/examine birds off the roost after dark,
much easier for me that way.

image.jpg

This is what the roosting looks like and wondering if I need to make the roosting bigger for them to sit on at night

It's hard to judge elevation from overhead but it appears the boxes are just recessed a bit lower than the floor? And the edge of the boxes is only a couple inches lower than the roosts? I'm thinking they are roosting on that edge because there either isn't enough room on the roost or there isn't enough height difference to make the roost more appealing.

If so, I see a couple fixes.
1) move the roost nearest the lip up higher. You'll still need clearance so they can hop up comfortably so this depends on how much height there is to work with.

2) Add external nest boxes and make the existing boxes additional floorspace. More work but then the boxes are fully out from under the roosting space.

Okay, I was just told to put a 2x4 on top of those roosting and see if that would help. Maybe the roosting bars are not wide enough?

Back
Top Bottom