chicken nests

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by notrub, Oct 23, 2015.

1. notrub

notrub Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    twentynine palms ca
    I have pullets that have just started to lay, I put straw in their nest , but they kick out, what is the solution,??
    I use pine shavings on the floor of the coop ,and don't want to use it in their nests for fear of them laying on the floor of the coop. Thought about using shredded paper , would appreciate any suggestions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Put a larger lip on the nest boxes so that they can not kick out the straw.

3. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

I have pine shavings on the floor and in their boxes and they don't lay on the floor of the coop.

4. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! [​IMG] Welcome! X2, If you'll use a larger lip, the straw will stay in as they arrange it to their liking. you might try a grass hay instead, my hens seem to like that.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think it's like fluffing a pillow - and the hens are trying to get just the right effect.

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x3 on the larger lip on the nesting boxes, they're just trying to arrange the straw to suit themselves.

Thanks for joining us!

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

I agree with @pfields , the bedding won't cause them to lay outside the nests if the nests are inviting, private and dark. If yours are already laying in the nests, it is unlikely they will become floor layers.

I tried the shredded paper, but my flock eats anything I tried other than sand. But, the eggs are moist when laid and some of the paper will stick. I tried newspaper and got pre-decorated eggs.[​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]
    Pre-decorated Easter Eggs!

10. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hello :frow welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by