Chicken newbie here....question about eggs

CrystalMosko

Chirping
Jul 1, 2022
Hayden, ID
Hoping I'm post in the correct forum! So, I purchased 11 pullets from a local poultry farm here in North Idaho. I ended up with 2 roosters, both are Red laced Wyandottes. I was strongly encouraged to keep one. I was told that they protect and can also break up hens (if there is a fight). Since I'm SUCH a newbie I'm a little scared about cracking into a fertilized egg. My girls are only about 12 weeks old and aren't laying just yet. I've been reading and reading and everything just says to gather often. Is that all there is to it? ANY help or tips are appreciated! =)

Hoping I'm post in the correct forum! So, I purchased 11 pullets from a local poultry farm here in North Idaho. I ended up with 2 roosters, both are Red laced Wyandottes. I was strongly encouraged to keep one. I was told that they protect and can also break up hens (if there is a fight). Since I'm SUCH a newbie I'm a little scared about cracking into a fertilized egg. My girls are only about 12 weeks old and aren't laying just yet. I've been reading and reading and everything just says to gather often. Is that all there is to it? ANY help or tips are appreciated! =)
If you collect your eggs daily, you're fine. They only develop if a mana is sitting on them, really.

And welcome to chickening!

Thank you Aunt Angus! So collecting them daily is the fix? And they do not need to be refrigerated, correct? How long would they need to be 'sat' on?
A fetus will start developing very quickly as it only takes about 3 weeks for them to fully develop and hatch.

They don't need to be refrigerated if they aren't washed. When chickens lay the eggs, there is a protective coating called the bloom that seals the pores in the egg shell, more or less. This keeps germs and whatnot from getting to the embryo. It also keeps fresh eggs fresh. If you wash the eggs, that bloom is removed, so you need to refrigerate them after washing.

If you collect eggs daily, there shouldn't be an issue. If you accidentally forget, you can candle them (shine a bright flashlight through the egg to spot development) quickly to double check.

You can eat fertile eggs (I do), a fertile egg means they have the potential to develop, but haven't begun to. You just don't want to eat a developing egg. I mean... you could... but please... don't...

They won't start developing unless they are either in very, very warm weather for a few days, (like 100 degrees out) or a hen has been sitting on them (gone broody), or they're incubated.

If you collect eggs daily, there shouldn't be an issue. If you accidentally forget, you can candle them (shine a bright flashlight through the egg to spot development) quickly to double check.

You can eat fertile eggs (I do), a fertile egg means they have the potential to develop, but haven't begun to. You just don't want to eat a developing egg. I mean... you could... but please... don't...

They won't start developing unless they are either in very, very warm weather for a few days, (like 100 degrees out) or a hen has been sitting on them (gone broody), or they're incubated.
Lemon-Drop....thank you! Yes, the thought of cracking into a developing egg is a completely traumatizing thought! I was completely ready to give away the roosters (and I still might) for this ONE specific reason. I'm not entirely sure as to the best way to 'store' the eggs, as if it's poopy I'll REALLY want to wash it. Love my little flock and can't wait to see eggs! While (at 12 weeks) they are still young, I'm eager to see them lay. =)

Back
Top Bottom