Chicken newbie here....question about eggs

Lemon-Drop....thank you! Yes, the thought of cracking into a developing egg is a completely traumatizing thought! I was completely ready to give away the roosters (and I still might) for this ONE specific reason. I'm not entirely sure as to the best way to 'store' the eggs, as if it's poopy I'll REALLY want to wash it. Love my little flock and can't wait to see eggs! While (at 12 weeks) they are still young, I'm eager to see them lay. =)
If you collect frequently, your eggs will be cleaner. You can always just wash the eggs and refrigerate them if they're gross. They will still last a long time - a couple of months.

So collecting them daily is the fix?
Yes depending on storage.

And they do not need to be refrigerated, correct?
A little complicated. The fertile egg will not develop as long as it is kept below a certain temperature. It will not hatch as long as it is not kept within a very few degrees of incubating temperature. That's around 99.5 Fahrenheit. But the embryo can develop to the point it is noticeable at lower temperatures, it just will not hatch. The warmer it is the faster it develops.

Some experts say don't store it above 80 F. I don't think an egg will develop enough that you will notice any development that low, it probably has more to do with storing it to hatch it later. I don't have anything to really base this on other than my thoughts, but I'd think you'd be OK storing a fertile egg on your counter in the mid 80's F. If you store it in your refrigerator that egg is not going to develop at all.

Sometimes you can find stuff in the egg when you crack it that has nothing to do with it being fertile, but many people get confused about that. Due to the way an egg is put together inside the hen's body, you can get what are called bloody spots or meat spots in the egg. When the yolk is released to start making an egg a blood vessel may break, putting blood on the yolk. Or when it is going through her internal egg making factory assembly line some other material may get in the egg. That's why I always suggest we crack our eggs in a separate bowl before we use them.

There is a risk that our eggs could go bad. If bacteria gets inside the egg it can multiply and you get a "rotten egg". If you've ever smelled that you don't forget it. About the last thing a hen does when laying an egg is to put a layer we call bloom on the egg. That's why a newly laid egg looks wet, bloom comes out wet but it quickly dries. This bloom acts as a bacteria barrier to help stop bacteria getting inside the egg. It is really effective as long as it is intact. A hen can hide a nest, lay eggs for two weeks, then incubate them for three weeks without bacteria getting inside. But if the integrity of the bloom is compromised (it gets scratched or you wash it off) bacteria can get inside and multiply. A dirty egg can have the bloom compromised.

The warmer the egg is stored the fasten bacteria can multiply if it does get inside. Your refrigerator will keep it cool enough that the bacteria cannot multiply. Your counter is probably going to be warm enough that it can.

If you are going to store a fertile egg on your counter I'd want room temperature to be below 80 F in an abundance of caution. If you are going to store any egg on your counter, fertile or not, don't wash it or otherwise compromise the bloom. If it is dirty, wash it and store it in your fridge.

How long would they need to be 'sat' on?
For the embryo to develop to the point you would see something if you crack the egg, over a day but less than two full days. So collect them daily and you will be fine.

I totally agree with the other posts! If you get any eggs that are a bit soiled, you can always leave them unwashed until you want to use them, then wash and use them. And welcome to BYC!!!! Happy chicken journey!!!!

Yes depending on storage.

A little complicated. The fertile egg will not develop as long as it is kept below a certain temperature. It will not hatch as long as it is not kept within a very few degrees of incubating temperature. That's around 99.5 Fahrenheit. But the embryo can develop to the point it is noticeable at lower temperatures, it just will not hatch. The warmer it is the faster it develops.

Some experts say don't store it above 80 F. I don't think an egg will develop enough that you will notice any development that low, it probably has more to do with storing it to hatch it later. I don't have anything to really base this on other than my thoughts, but I'd think you'd be OK storing a fertile egg on your counter in the mid 80's F. If you store it in your refrigerator that egg is not going to develop at all.

Sometimes you can find stuff in the egg when you crack it that has nothing to do with it being fertile, but many people get confused about that. Due to the way an egg is put together inside the hen's body, you can get what are called bloody spots or meat spots in the egg. When the yolk is released to start making an egg a blood vessel may break, putting blood on the yolk. Or when it is going through her internal egg making factory assembly line some other material may get in the egg. That's why I always suggest we crack our eggs in a separate bowl before we use them.

There is a risk that our eggs could go bad. If bacteria gets inside the egg it can multiply and you get a "rotten egg". If you've ever smelled that you don't forget it. About the last thing a hen does when laying an egg is to put a layer we call bloom on the egg. That's why a newly laid egg looks wet, bloom comes out wet but it quickly dries. This bloom acts as a bacteria barrier to help stop bacteria getting inside the egg. It is really effective as long as it is intact. A hen can hide a nest, lay eggs for two weeks, then incubate them for three weeks without bacteria getting inside. But if the integrity of the bloom is compromised (it gets scratched or you wash it off) bacteria can get inside and multiply. A dirty egg can have the bloom compromised.

The warmer the egg is stored the fasten bacteria can multiply if it does get inside. Your refrigerator will keep it cool enough that the bacteria cannot multiply. Your counter is probably going to be warm enough that it can.

If you are going to store a fertile egg on your counter I'd want room temperature to be below 80 F in an abundance of caution. If you are going to store any egg on your counter, fertile or not, don't wash it or otherwise compromise the bloom. If it is dirty, wash it and store it in your fridge.

For the embryo to develop to the point you would see something if you crack the egg, over a day but less than two full days. So collect them daily and you will be fine.
Ridgerunner, this information is extremely helpful! Thank you. =) I was planning on storing on the counter (our house temp is usually in the 70's) but I guess we can use the fridge in the garage too, if they are a little on the dirty side.

I totally agree with the other posts! If you get any eggs that are a bit soiled, you can always leave them unwashed until you want to use them, then wash and use them. And welcome to BYC!!!! Happy chicken journey!!!!
Thank you! I'm truly enjoying my journey so far! I've wanted chickens about 10 years now and am FINALLY there! =)

Back
Top Bottom