Chicken Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SallyH, May 21, 2011.

1. SallyH

SallyH Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    I also am from Upstate SC as another poster said today. I just got some chickens not quite 3 months old and also some chicks about 2 weeks old now.
    The older chickens I purchased from a gentleman who bought the rarest of rare breed assortment through McMurray hatchery in February. I bought six chickens and he gave me three additional ones that he didn't know what they were. I got a Silver Gray Dorking, think he's a rooster, a Silver Penciled Rock, think he's also a rooster, a Silver Spangled Hamburg, definitely a rooster. Then, there is a black cochin hen, a hen that is either a Dominique or a Barred Rock, a white Polish crested hen and three other birds I think are hens and I believe they are white laced Ren Cornish.

My chicks are 3 Black white crested Polish? Did I say that right? I got two golden Sebrights and two Silver Sebrights. They are about the sweetest things I've ever seen.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Dominique and a Barred Rock.

I do want to have some eggs, but I really just want the chickens for ornamental purposes. When I chose the older ones I just chose them for their looks. We have rigged up a dog pen to be a temporary coop until we can get something else built and the chicks are inside my craft studio. Quite honestly it looks like "hillbilly coop". Ultimately, I would like to have several small coops so I can keep my breed separate. I feel like I might already be in trouble with too many roosters. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.

My husband and I moved from central IL and we're really enjoying the weather here in SC. I know it will get really hot, but I can handle that much better than the cold winters in IL. I'm looking forward to learning a lot.

2. suburbanchickymama

suburbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Apex, NC
    [​IMG] from Apex, NC! Sounds like you have a fun variety of breeds! Good luck with everything! And post pics when you can! [​IMG]

And, of course, [​IMG]

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

4. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi Sally and welcome!

5. leslierf

leslierf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Tucson area
    Welcome! You came to the right place.[​IMG]

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SallyH

SallyH Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    What does RIR mean?

8. jackson8

jackson8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    Welcome to BYC. It means rhode island red.

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds.

10. alekos50

alekos50 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    [​IMG] from Orlando FL! We're new 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by