Chicken Newbie

SallyH

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
I also am from Upstate SC as another poster said today. I just got some chickens not quite 3 months old and also some chicks about 2 weeks old now.
The older chickens I purchased from a gentleman who bought the rarest of rare breed assortment through McMurray hatchery in February. I bought six chickens and he gave me three additional ones that he didn't know what they were. I got a Silver Gray Dorking, think he's a rooster, a Silver Penciled Rock, think he's also a rooster, a Silver Spangled Hamburg, definitely a rooster. Then, there is a black cochin hen, a hen that is either a Dominique or a Barred Rock, a white Polish crested hen and three other birds I think are hens and I believe they are white laced Ren Cornish.

My chicks are 3 Black white crested Polish? Did I say that right? I got two golden Sebrights and two Silver Sebrights. They are about the sweetest things I've ever seen.

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a Dominique and a Barred Rock.

I do want to have some eggs, but I really just want the chickens for ornamental purposes. When I chose the older ones I just chose them for their looks. We have rigged up a dog pen to be a temporary coop until we can get something else built and the chicks are inside my craft studio. Quite honestly it looks like "hillbilly coop". Ultimately, I would like to have several small coops so I can keep my breed separate. I feel like I might already be in trouble with too many roosters. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.

My husband and I moved from central IL and we're really enjoying the weather here in SC. I know it will get really hot, but I can handle that much better than the cold winters in IL. I'm looking forward to learning a lot.

frow.gif
from Apex, NC! Sounds like you have a fun variety of breeds! Good luck with everything! And post pics when you can!
smile.png

And, of course,
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom