1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chicken Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JenniferP5970, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JenniferP5970

JenniferP5970 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia
    Hello, My name is Jennifer.

I live in Hampton, Virginia. I am brand new to raising chickens so I am looking for any advice anyone wants to give me. I am picking up 2-3 five week old Easter Eggers tomorrow. I am so excited! I have an area set up for them in my house for the moment while I get everything outside ready for them.

I do have a few questions. How are other chicken raisers in my area raising their chickens? Are there any special accommodations that they are making for them? Also, at what age should they be moved outside?

Thank you for any assistance that is given. :)

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Happy New Year and [​IMG] good to see you finally found the time to join us at BYC [​IMG]

Move them out by 4 to six week of age at 4 weeks take them out to get use to the cooler temp and by 6 weeks they stay and when you bring them in keep at room temp to help the feather growth [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! you might want to post on your state thread for advice from people in your area on what works for them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/80/virginia check out the BYC Learning Center articles on raising chicks. Generally chicks are mostly feathered by 6-8 weeks and are fine outside in a coop in most areas.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

You can start to acclimate them right now by taking them outside briefly each day for a "field trip" but keep an eye on them that they stay safe and never leave them unattended at a young age. Keep lowering your heat in the brooder each week until you have them down to room temp at about 6 weeks. This time of year it is advised to take the heat lamp out with them for a few weeks and only turned on at night. Not so much heat that they can get too warm, but just enough that if they feel chilled, they can warm up a bit. After a few weeks you can turn the light off.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great place to start - welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Day old chicks generally start in a brooder with lamp holding around 95 degree temp, Each week lower it by 5%. When chicks are fully feathered out they can go outside ( barring horrific weather spells).

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by