Chicken newbie!

Which bantam/ small chicken should I buy?

• silkie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pekin

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • wyandottes

• beligian barbu d'anvers

• Bramhas

• Orpington (bantams)

• feel free to add your own!

• Total voters
My suggestion would be 5 hens max and 1 rooster if this is all the room you have
clap.gif

The Silkies are a nice breed as they will brood easily and good egg producers but I am
the kind of person who leans toward the EE's because of there easy going attitude and
good egg laying abilities and the different colors and I have kid's in the yard .......
but the EE's are not well known for going broody all that often but they will .........
You can always mix your flock for different reasons to give you what you want ,,,
like 3 EE's and two silky hens ............

Your needs or wants is where the real difference
love.gif

I whizzed right past you poll box at the top of the page
thumbsup.gif

gander007
old.gif
Can i ask what at ee is! I measured the area and it was 12m2 so quite a bit larger. Thanks

Ah okay, thank you! Would you recommend a chicken coop or company to buy my stuff from. Thanks

Ah okay, thank you! Would you recommend a chicken coop or company to buy my stuff from. Thanks

I haven't any idea how good you are with tools but for the price of buying
a coop you can get all the materials and tools and build 4 coops to buying
one already made that you will probably have to assemble yourself in the
end it is easer to look up in the library here and pick out a coop you think
you can build and have at it
big_smile.png

BYC offers you a wide verity of information and plans for a coop is one of them
thumbsup.gif

material for the coop is best when you use repurposed lumber and the wire is
about $100 a roll and chicken netting or chicken wire is even less expensive
highfive.gif

gander007
old.gif

Thank you for all your relpys! I have a area of about 7m by 3m for the chickens, how many bantams could i fit in there? and do you recommend any coops for them? Out of the bantams i said which would be the best layer, best pet and best all rounder? (add your own suggestions please) Thanks

The best bantam layers tend to be the ones whose standard counterparts are good layers, ie Leghorns etc. Most other bantams in general, and especially ones like Cochins, Silkies etc tend to go broody quite often so their egg production is lower. Do you know what bantams are available in your area, or do you know where you will probably get the birds? You might check that out to help you make a decision.
The usual recommended space for standard chickens is about 1m/sq outside run and half that in the coop, with bantams you could probably go with 2/3 that to 1/2 want you want for the standard chickens depending on the bantams size.
Like gander007 said, if you can make your coop, or hire someone to do it, it will be a lot better and cheaper than getting a prefab one. Modifying a something like a lawn shed or storage shed might also be something to consider.

When they go broody how do stop them? Is there any good books you would recommend for beginner chicken keepers? Do you have any expirence of dogs with chickens and how to stop them being gobbled?! Is there a best time of the year to get them? I think i have found a breeder who sells rare breed chickens, should i buy them as chicks or eggs? I have a area in my garden under the trampoline, which is quite muddy, when i get rid of the trampoline would this be a good place to keep them or do they prefer grassed areas? For their run should I get a enclosed roof run or netting and does it need to be electric? How long will bantams live for on average? Sorry about asking all these question, i need to make sure chickens are right for me!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom