Chicken nipple waterer issue

TOPChickens14

Songster
Dec 19, 2020
Northern New York
So I recently bought some horizontal chicken nipples and screwed them into a bucket from TSC. I followed a video and the chickens immediately started using them. The waterer I put into the coop is making the floor damp. The actual nipples aren't leaking anywhere (not even around the screw hole) I am thinking maybe when they are drinking they're spilling it every where? Any thoughts?

So I recently bought some horizontal chicken nipples and screwed them into a bucket from TSC. I followed a video and the chickens immediately started using them. The waterer I put into the coop is making the floor damp. The actual nipples aren't leaking anywhere (not even around the screw hole) I am thinking maybe when they are drinking they're spilling it every where? Any thoughts?
Yes they do cause drips while drinking. Wouldn’t hurt to have a pan under.
My HN are located on a long pipe and I have a gutter under which drains outside to collect the drips.

Drips come from them using the nipples. In my old coop, I used a flower pot saucer that I got a Lowes. I put 3 bricks under the drum to raise it up, so it didn't sit down inside the saucer. The base of this drum is the same size as a 5 gallon bucket. The nipples are all inside the rim, so all drips were contained.

I see your in NY, I attached my article on making a heated waterer using horizontal nipples, if your interested.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ock-tank-deicer-and-horizontal-nipples.74609/

14 gallon heated waterer.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom