Chicken Nipples: Enough Water?

As for the chickens mobbing water... I can reach into the top of my hanging feeder, grab a handful of exactly the feed they are eating, pour it on the ground, and the chickens will abandon the feeder en mass to get this new source of food. If they were kids they'd be prescribed Ritalin. "Oooh, shiny! Let's go look at that! Oooh, something else shiny! Quick! Go over there!" I'm not at all surprised they'd mob a new source of water, but I don't think it means they are short of water any more than mine are short of food when they abandon the feeder to eat the same food. A school full of Attention Deficit Disorder kids would have nothin' on a single chicken.

Ha! Too funny. Thanks for the insights. I figured I was reading too much into the situation. I
mean, if they were truly water deprived, they'd of not lasted the last 10 weeks or so, right?

I'm now considering writing "Ritalin Dispensing Unit" on the side of the primary feeder...
lau.gif

Love it.

Hotspurious,
Walnut Creek, CA

Sounds like they are generally fearful birds. Sad.

I used a remote bucket so that's a difference. I also mounted mine "high" (for fledglings) and gave the chickens a block of wood as a booster. That way I won't have to mess with it as they grow. They seem to like climbing up on the block of wood anyway so maybe that's a factor...but it's probably just that yours had a rough beginning. :(
They are totally fine in the house, or outside if they can see me. I got 9 more babies to go with them, and they were actually with all the babies till this last week, they just got way too big with them, and they were really mad at me when I did take them out. The last 2 days has been hard on them too, because they have been stuck in the house, its been snowing, and today its 22 and blowing like mad, they are almost fully feathered, but I'm worried about them just being 2 that they will get cold. Yesterday when I brought them in, their legs and feet were frozen to the touch. But they seemed fine outside in the coop. I think I might just be too over protective of them.

No, its actually a solid white bucket with the 3 nipples on the bottom. I thought it might be the height, so I have adjusted it like 4-5 times to different levels, and I'm sure its the right height, they just stay far away from where ever I hang it, unless I'm there with them. I have moved to to 3 different spots in their run too, and every time they just go to the other side. So frustrating. The lady at the feed store told me to put strawberry jam on the bottom of it, didn't work, they did peck off the jam, which I did that 5 times in the same day, but they still won't go near it unless I'm there... But I have 9 other babies 2-3 weeks that I hope they will figure it out, and then they will just follow. But these 2 chicks have had a hard start, got them out of a trash can at about 2 weeks old, and they follow me around like a lost puppy dog, and they huddle in a corner outside when I'm not out in the yard, if they can't see me, they just huddle in a corner, but if they can see me, they will walk about. Poor things, I keep thinking with age and time they will feel safe.
They are totally fine in the house, or outside if they can see me. I got 9 more babies to go with them, and they were actually with all the babies till this last week, they just got way too big with them, and they were really mad at me when I did take them out. The last 2 days has been hard on them too, because they have been stuck in the house, its been snowing, and today its 22 and blowing like mad, they are almost fully feathered, but I'm worried about them just being 2 that they will get cold. Yesterday when I brought them in, their legs and feet were frozen to the touch. But they seemed fine outside in the coop. I think I might just be too over protective of them.
Good Chance...just give them time.

I agree. The chickens like seeing their water so the cups have all of the advantages of the nipples but without the disadvantages.

Just dropped this in the run this afternoon:

The ladies have taken to it without blinking.
Having said this... They're still draining my nipple system. Perhaps I've acquired dromedary chickens?
droolin.gif

Hotspurious
Walnut Creek, CA

Mine went crazy when I first brought them home at the water too. I'm not sure what the breeder used as I don't remember seeing anything in their pen but I doubt a normal bowl as there were lots of them and it would have tipped.

First off I had a dog bowl and they actually drank till they would throw up water. Bizarre!
Now I've actually turned the bowl upside down so its only the rim fills with water and they can't stand in it. Seems to have stopped the crazy dring till you throw it up behaviour.

Have to admit I thought of emailing the breeder to see what he used as it really was like they thought they were dying of thirst like yours but I have no doubt there was a water system of some sort.

Last edited:
My chicks went outside their coop for the first time today , new world for them , they had a blast!Took them awhile to walk the ramp down but all 12 finally made it. Also received my nipples today and tried them , took a bit but within 30 minutes they were going crazy on them. Put the nipples in the bottom of a coffee container with a plant hanger to hold it up! Works great. Ordered them from Green Garden Chicken , 5 in a pkg , but they sent 6! $9.95 and free shipping! perfect! Probably will order more and hang them everywhere , no more poop in the water!

I've nearly completed an automatically recharged, chicken nipple-based, water distribution
system for the girls. However, I've been observing some interesting behavior over the past
3 weeks that has me questioning the entire project.

My nearly 10 week old chicks have only had access to chicken nipple watering containers;
not once was a traditional watering container used.

About three weeks ago that changed. As I worked on my automated system - to bridge the
periods of work (the downtime as it were) - I set a gallon waterer in the run. Once found, the
girls run to it and guzzle/gulp water like a bunch of freshman college kids doing keg stands;
they'd literally go after the waterer.

Now, this hasn't happened only once - which one might discount as anomalous behavior - but
instead happens each time I set a freshly filled waterer in the run with them.

Question: Are the girls getting enough water through the nipple or are they just getting enough
and would prefer more but the nipple system doesn't allow for sufficient flow? (Or... Am I over-
thinking this altogether?)

Again, they've only used nipples to date and my chicks appear to be perfectly happy/healthy.

Inquiring minds,

Hotspurious
Walnut Creek, CA
My hens do the same thing I have nipples in the coop and bell water in the yard. When let out they head for the water. I truly believe that if the hens were not getting enough from the nipples. They would be standing in front of them all the time. That never happens! Kind of like when you through out some bread they run after it like they have never eaten. Does that mean they are not getting enough food? I happen to sell horizontal nipples but no matter what kind you choose. They are a convenient and cleaner alternative for poultry owners.

Back
Top Bottom