chicken noises.what does this mean? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dondon, Jul 6, 2010.

1. dondon

dondon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] hi everyone just a quick question. I have 3 chucks 1 white braham and 2 orps iv only had them about 4wks and i am new to chicken keeping,the question is what do the different noises of chickens mean? for example one of my orps makes a noise (very loud) like a cockeral it doesnt happen everyday and its not when she has laid an egg (and yes she is deffinatly a hen we have had lots of eggs already off her) does anyone elses chucks do this? have i got a gender confused chuck? lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Not to worry - Hens often are as vocal as the rooster - though they don't 'crow' they can make a ton of racket. I find with my hens that when one gets upset by something she raises heck. Happens when I collec the eggs while she is sitting or one of the other hens gives her the evil eye.

3. BigRednRock

BigRednRock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    have 2 that make a big fuss when i'm in the yard... a leghorn and a black star. theymake an even bigger racket when my leghorn roo is sitting with me. they only time they don't fussis when there is food involved

4. dondon

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    [​IMG] Thanks for your help at least i know theres nothing to worry about,just got myself one very vocal chuck lol [​IMG]

5. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Chickens have more than 30 vocal sounds, to comunicate betwen them and with the flock. So, you should start to learn the chicken "tongue".

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    My favorite noise is the "flying saucer" noise they make in the barn at night.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I absolutely LOVE the trilling sounds after all the "get your wing out of my face" noises on the roost at night, once they're content and settled. And the same sort of noise the roo makes when demonstrating the nest box is an excellent place to lay eggs.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. dondon

Jun 18, 2010
    nottingham
    [​IMG] iv found a website that tells you about the different sounds but cant seem to get it to play the sounds [​IMG] if anyone has any other good websites about chuck noises let me know THANKS peeps [​IMG]

9. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    My silkies growl! lol makes seem even more like little dinosaurs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by