Chicken Noob

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicksy, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Chicksy

Chicksy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Sulphur Rock, Arkansas
    Hello all. I'm fairly new to the chicken game but I've always loved animals and am looking forward to this hobby. I've got a nice fence all plotted out. 4x4 posts and a 5ft tall horse fence ( the rectangular linked kind ) and about 50 sq ft of wiggle room is successfully constructed in my back yard. I'm working at the coop for now. I've seen some chicks at Tractor Supply Co and I figured that spring was the best time to purchase chicks. I'm not really concerned with the breed just yet. Before I purchase the little cluckies I need to make sure their new home is perfect and puppy-proof. I have 3 dogs. 2 small chi-mixes and a german shepherd. So LOTS of planning and prep work to come.

Any advice that can be offered would be great. Breeds that are low cost start up, coop design options(I love re-purposing), or even if its just linking a neat thread about getting started would be much appreciated.

Thanks ya'll!

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Welcome to BYC!
    It sounds like your fenced in area is very similar to ours and it works well. I know what it's like introducing chicks to dogs as we have two dogs, a Beagle and a Pointer mix. Once the chicks got comfortable in their new home we would securely hold a chick in our hands and show them to the dogs, then we would repeatedly say "no". Then we worked up from this point setting the chicks on the ground and telling the dogs "no". Our dogs got the idea quickly, so hopefully yours will too. Good luck! :)

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, welcome to BYC! You will learn a lot here!

4. Chicksy

Chicksy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Sulphur Rock, Arkansas
    Hopefully, training the dogs to be kind and gentle will go over smoothly. Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

5. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Of course! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by