Chicken nose look weird...

3chickchick

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2020
I noticed couple days ago one of my hen's nose looks kinda unusual. I'm not she was born like that or got injured. Please help...

Attachments

• 2_IMG_20201030_201502256.jpg
    2_IMG_20201030_201502256.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 3_IMG_20201030_201456368.jpg
    3_IMG_20201030_201456368.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi Eggcessive, thank you for such quick response. I didn't see any broken beak or swallow face. She looks well during the day. Here is another picture of her left side. I just hope not another chicken peck her to injure her nose. :(

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20201030_201542220.jpg
    0_IMG_20201030_201542220.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 27
She looks normal, perhaps a small loss of tissue to her right nare. It doesn't look infected or anything swollen. I don't think I'd worry about it unless you see blood, or discharge, or bloody discharge. 🙂

Hi
Her comb seems to come down over her nostrol on the left side. make sure that it is open for breathing. Her beak might be very slightly overgrown on top. Make sure her beak appears straight from the font, since they can be crooked or cross beak. I am not an expert on these things, so I will post a link about beaks:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/trim-chickens-beak/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/
Thank you for the information. I will check her peak tomorrow. It is a little cooky not completely straight. But I will double check tomorrow. Thanks again.

She looks normal, perhaps a small loss of tissue to her right nare. It doesn't look infected or anything swollen. I don't think I'd worry about it unless you see blood, or discharge, or bloody discharge. 🙂
Hi Mykamom, thank you so much for quick response. There is no discharge or blood. But I will keep eye on her. Also I saw a little bit water by her nose like running nose on the other hen. Then I came out to check her again in an hour, the running nose is gone. Should I be concerned? Thanks

Hi Mykamom, thank you so much for quick response. There is no discharge or blood. But I will keep eye on her. Also I saw a little bit water by her nose like running nose on the other hen. Then I came out to check her again in an hour, the running nose is gone. Should I be concerned? Thanks
If the birds are showing signs of respiratory distress, you need to consult a vet. There ARE over the counter meds for poultry, such as broad spectrum antibiotics. It could just be a one off, but I would absolutely watch for more. If it happens again, check the health forum on what to do. I haven't experienced any disease outbreaks.

Back
Top Bottom