Chicken not acting right - foxglove poisoning?

Rowdy5150

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Oregon coast
One of my 14wk old girls is being very still, standing facing the wall of the coop and not making any noises. I noticed this last night and didn't think much of it until I saw her again this am. Normally they run from me or make lots of noises when I pick them up, but she didn't do any of that today when I held her. It is very odd, all of my other girls and roo are acting normal.

I was reading about foxgloves and how they are poisonouos, and noticed some had been chewed on in the yard. Does anyone have any info on the symptoms associated with foxglove poisoning in chickens? This is my only guess as to what it could be, but then I wonder why the rest of the flock is acting just fine, because I'm sure she wasn't the only one eating the plant. I have since pulled the plants out of the yard, I had no idea these were so dangerous.

Another thing I forgot to ask - Do you normally separate a chicken from the rest of the flock if shows signs of abnormal behavior like this?

I know foxglove (digitalis) is poison if ingested and muscle paralysis is one of the symptoms. I have no idea why I know this other than I do remember reading a long list of things that were bad for my dogs some time back and I was thinking -- really? --everything in my yard?
How is your girl now?

She has been the same all day today, just standing, looking tired and closing her eyes alot.
I did see her move over to the water and take 1 drink.
I really don't know what to do, there are so many diseases, and I am just stressed out about it.
Hopefully it will pass and she'll be better in the morning tomorrow.

Foxglove is digitalis. It slows and strenthens the heart beat but in overdose will cause death by heart failure. I hope the hen will get better. The digitalis normally takes a few days to clear the system. If she makes it then she will be tired acting. I don't know of any antidote for hens. So sorry and do isolate her. She does not need to be stressed to much though. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom