Chicken not being able to eat, now growth on beak

Broome Chickens

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2021
Hi all,
Our nearly 5yo Australorp Smokey started to slow down a month or two ago. She wouldn't jump on the roost anymore but prefer to sleep on the ground under the other hens. To keep her clean I provided a tub with roofing for her under. Then I noticed she couldn't eat anymore a few weeks ago now: she would be interested and attempt to peck but would not actually take anything into her beak or swallow. There was some slime coming out however her crop was empty. I then also noticed her lack of weight/substance, looked her over, found nothing wrong but did smell a deathlike smell on her and thus figured she was really unwell or very old.
I am aware chickens can get much older, however Smokey never had a great constitution; her few eggs were always brittle no matter diet changes. And life span is shorter in extreme climates I believe. Where we are it is mostly 30 degrees Celsius and up, and very humid/rainy for 5 months out of the year (and up to 40 degrees), no rain for 7 months. FYI we have no vet in town that knows anything about birds: the give antibiotics or put down so I don't tend to go there.
One day over a week ago Smokey stayed in bed and I decided to syringed into her coconut water with some raw honey and garlic. She was up the next day, appreciated that for a few days, then started resisting. By that time I noticed how all the other hens are super respectful of her, give her time to explore special treats for a long while (I offered hard boiled egg crumbed, yoghurt, mealworms made small) even if she wouldn't/couldn't eat without touching it themselves.
My feeling is/was she is of age and on her way out. So I chose to leave her be and respect her and her pace and place in the flock.
Over a week has passed, she is still around, comes and greets. Every morning my heart lifts when I see her. She weighs less, is a little feeble but seems okay. I don't see her eating or drinking however she must take in some as I found a bit of poo where she slept this morning. Today I also found a growth on her beak and now wonder if she has a tumor inside her beak that is coming out the other side.
If I am missing something please let me know so I can act. Personally I do have a preference for least invasive methods; nature is allowed to take her course and I prefer quality over quantity in regards to life span. I realise this is not the same for everyone and ask to please be respectful in sharing your thoughts or ideas. Thank you so much

Have you opened her mouth and looked for any necrotic looking lesions inside her mouth/throat?
Could you please let me know what it could be if it would look like that and if there then is an appropriate action? Or would it just be for diagnoses?

Is that treatable?
Just looked it up: no native birds in our coop and none of the others have it. If you think canker also causes a growth on the outside and that death smell I would be happy to purchase treatment from the vet and just put it into the water. It won't hurt the other hens I suppose or would it impact their immune systems? It is going to be super hot the next few days, all with be in a bit of shock from the season change, not sure if I should fiddle too much
I was thinking possibly canker.
Thank you for thinking with me

If in fact it's canker, it will spread to your other birds via waterers/feeders. Birds remain carriers for life.
Treatment is acidified copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month. Use a plastic waterer to provide it for your birds.

Back
Top Bottom