Chicken not being able to eat, now growth on beak

If in fact it's canker, it will spread to your other birds via waterers/feeders. Birds remain carriers for life.
Treatment is acidified copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month. Use a plastic waterer to provide it for your birds.
Okay, that will be a good enough reason for me to go look inside her beak tomorrow when sun is up: do I look for necrotic lesions? If she has got that I treat all from here on?

If you can get some help to hold her and look, then you could get some photos and post here. It might help some knowledgeable people help to diagnose the problem.

Hello again, Smokey was quite energetic this morning and we attempted to took pics. She has yellow/white inside her beak, no black lesions as far as I can see. Apology for the bad pictures. Is this an access? It surprises me as the outside grew later. However, all advice welcome. Can I do something, could a vet even if being clueless about birds in general?

Attachments

• IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2340.JPG
    IMG_2340.JPG
    439 KB · Views: 2
I'm no expert, but that looks like an abscess to me. Perhaps a course of antibiotics would be worth a try instead of assuming cancer and not treating at all. You can get fishmox from aquarium stores and look up the dosage on threads here for chickens.

I'm no expert, but that looks like an abscess to me. Perhaps a course of antibiotics would be worth a try instead of assuming cancer and not treating at all. You can get fishmox from aquarium stores and look up the dosage on threads here for chickens.
Thank you, I have called pet food stores, they have none. The vet will only prescribe after seeing the hen; their response in the past was: we know nothing about chickens, we either put to sleep or prescribe antibiotics. I have some Amoxicilline left in the fridge and have just given her a 1/4 dose with water and honey, will do the same for 3 days and see what happens. She is more 'up' today than she was before. But the growth on her beak, which I dreaded was a maggot, is actually hard (the dark bit). Maybe she had something stuck and it is working its way out? I just pray she has a bit more time provided it is without pain and suffering

I hope you manage to fix it. Nothing to lose with a course of antibiotics now, and possibly something to gain.

I hope you manage to fix it. Nothing to lose with a course of antibiotics now, and possibly something to gain.
Thanks heaps, I agree. She had her second dose this morning.
Can/should I clean out the yellow stuff inside her beak or will that be hard/painful/unremovable?
Am also considering adding colloidal silver to the water canisters/bowls for the other hens as an immune booster, have no idea about the dose - anyone?

Back
Top Bottom