chicken not eating, comb drooping, clumsy

audreyjo

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Hello All, I have a 2 year old Buff Orpington who is listless, clumsy, not eating and has runny white droppings. Also her comb is drooping and turning dark. We have not switched feeds or changed anything. She seems to be getting worse. Any help??

Last edited:
If the comb is turning blue/purple it may be a lack of oxygen. She may have a resp. illness. Listen very good as she breathes and see if it is labored or raspy.

what all do you feed?

check the crop..
do you know how to do that?

is she thin?
ever been wormed?

please answer nnbreeder's question about the breath sounds.

I have no idea how to check the crop. Can you kindly explain? They free range in my backyard mostly crabgrass, etc. I haven't ever wormed her, is that something I can get at the feedstore?

the crop is a sac near the bottom the neck, on top of the breast, slightly to the hen's right.
at roost time, after they have been eating all day..
the crop should feel full.
in the morning before they eat, it should feel empty or flat..sort of like an empty balloon.
check for any lumps or grainy feeling..or any sour odor from the mouth..
when was the last time she ate?

don't pick up the hen to listen to breath sounds..
just act normal..and listen..

when did she last lay an egg?

do her eyes look wet, mucusy or bubbly?
any drainage from beak?

what all do you feed?
how long has she been sick?

The wormer that is the most readily available is Wazine-17 and can be gotten at the feed store. The dosage is one fluid oz. to one gallon of water and I usually keep this as the sole source of water for a full day. Then in 14 days you re-worm them. Toss all the eggs for 14 days after the treatment stops too just to be safe.

The crop is located on the right side of the front of the bird. it is where they store food before going to the gizzard. It should be full at night and empty in the morning before they start feeding again.
Feel the cfrop to see if there are any hard lumps or if it is full in the morning, both are signs of trouble.

While you are in that area feek the bone that runs down the front of the bird, this is the keel bone and should not be sticking out on that young of a bird. If it is then she is out of condition.

I noticed the watery poo about 5 days ago, but she seemed okay. She hasn't layed for a few days. Her crop is about golfball size and very squishy as if full of liquid. The bone in the front is not sticking out, just the large crop.

We also feed a pellet feed from the feedstore, and scratch as a small treat. BTW she won't touch the scratch now, but picks a little at the pellets. She just sits in the small cage we have separated her in and will just lean to the side or tip over if handled.

Normal quiet breath sounds when sitting on the ground. No drainage or bubbles from eyes or nose. Her head looks normal except for the droopy comb that is slightly dark.

Back
Top Bottom