Chicken not Laying for about 3 weeks?

So, this morning I check on her, and she's up and about eating and drinking, but still off balance. I then realize after touching her, she has tiny,tiny bugs all over her. I am guessing they are mites. I will treat her for mites and hopefully, she will get better. I read that garlic water sprayed on her feathers will work.

So, this morning I check on her, and she's up and about eating and drinking, but still off balance. I then realize after touching her, she has tiny,tiny bugs all over her. I am guessing they are mites. I will treat her for mites and hopefully, she will get better. I read that garlic water sprayed on her feathers will work.
Don't mess around with garlic, get some permethrin dust or spray and get it right on her skin.
Mites can cause anemia.

Check her over real well for mites and/or lice..and the other birds too..and the coop.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

That's new information.
If you have an infestation, garlic won't help. You need to bring out the big guns.
A bad infestation can actually kill your bird. permethrin, 5% sevin dust
Treat her, clean out the building and treat it as well, especially but not limited to the nests. You'll need to pull out all bedding and burn it. Treat the whole building. Retreat the bird and building in another week.
Also, chickens don't fare well as lone animals. They need to be part of a flock. It could be as simple as that.

Where do I buy the Permethrin , 5% Sevin dust? I agree on her being lonely. Her Sister passed away over the Winter. I do have five 4 week old chicks that are not near her at all. They are in a spare bedroom in the house...I will treat her coop and any area she has been in. Can I use the Permethrin dust on her..?

Poultry and garden dust with permethrin can be had at farm store or garden center.
I find the spray works better, and would definitely be better for treating the coop for mites.

TSC has Gordons permethrin spray.
I use one of these small pump sprayers, worked great for lice.

upload_2018-6-2_8-39-26.png

Thank you so much, I am heading to TSC right now. How do I know if it's lice or mites.? I know they were on my arms and they looked microscopic and a reddish/brown color. I appreciate all the help.

Where do I buy the Permethrin , 5% Sevin dust? I agree on her being lonely. Her Sister passed away over the Winter. I do have five 4 week old chicks that are not near her at all. They are in a spare bedroom in the house...I will treat her coop and any area she has been in. Can I use the Permethrin dust on her..?
I use Permethrin. You can get it at most feed stores. Tractor Supply carries it. I buy the large container and mix it with water in a large sprayer and I spray the inside of the coop, roosts and nest boxes.
https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Perm...d=1527961917&sr=8-5&keywords=permethrins&th=1

Last edited:
Maybe give her a little extra protein feed like most Game Bird is around 20%. When I go into my breeding season I give my girls Game Bird Breeder pellets which is 20% protein.

Back
Top Bottom