Chicken Not Laying In Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PHILMAN, Sep 15, 2011.

1. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Recently Our chickens (2) at of 5 been laying eggs . 1 lays in the nesting box , the other lays behind our recycling bins . I tried picking her up when she was in postion to layto place her in the coop but she ran out and eventually went back behind the bin. My question is how the heck am i going to show her where shes to lay ? Should I lock her up in the am inside the coop until she has the egg ?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    My hens have something of a routine as to who lays when. Generally speaking, I don't let them out to free range until after that time, usually by 2 pm, anyone that's laying has done so.
    Locking yours in the coop sounds like the obvious answer, but it coud also backfire & cause her to stop laying due to the change. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...I would do it though.

3. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Thats what i did had them laying in the corner of the coop of course it was in a spot hard to get at. So when i identified the guilty party and when she was laying I would wait for her to go in there than I would put her in the nesting box and close the door and check on her every 20 min did this 3 days over the week end and have not had a problem since. good luck

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Put a couple golf balls or fake plastic or wooden eggs in the nest box.

5. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Thanks everybody , I think i will try to keep them locked up for a while longer this weekend . And yes i do have golf balls in the nest already .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by