Chicken Not Laying?

horselv2003

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
We have a set of three chickens that are the same age. They are all way past egg laying age bit only two of them lay and the third does not. Why could this be?

Are they the same breed? How old is "way past egg laying age"? My Americauna laid her first egg weeks before my Brahma did.

I have a 4 yo RSL that stopped laying after a year. My others are EE'S that are 3yo and they still lay.

I have read things slow down after 3 years.This is the time most hens are culled and replaced.

I think it is just a individual hen issue.My RSL hen really should have been laying all this time.She is otherwise healthy.My EE's have had health issues and they STILL lay! Even my hawk attacked hen is laying.

Be patient,cull,or keep that hen as a pet.

All three are about 8 months. The 2 that are laying are Rhode Island Reds and are about 8 months and have been laying for 3 months or more. The other is a Barred Rock, the same age as the other two, and has never layed even one egg.

Is it a rooster?

How do you know it's the one not laying? Perhaps it has found a hiding spot. My buddy thought his 'lorp stopped laying, turns out she just found a new place(s) to lay.

As far as production vs age, production peaks early, the first year, then tails off rather evenly for years, down 50% in year 5. I think the usual expectation is the first two years are great. Didn't ole Martha say it's too the pot after year two for her flock(s)? This is usually a measure of a flock of some size. Individual birds could be considerably different. One thing is for sure, the total number of eggs they'll ever be able to lay is set before they lay their first egg.

It doesn't have an signs of being a rooster....doesn't crow, no spurs, looks like all the other hen Barred Rocks we have ever had. I have looked in all the hiding places multiple times during the day because we have Turkey hens also and they like to hide their eggs and move their laying spots all around. I know it's the one not laying because I see both of the Rhode Islands in their same boxes they lay in every day and then there are eggs in those spots and the Barred Rock is never in any of the boxes. Also I have noticed that Barred Rocks brown eggs are a tad lighter brown then the Rhode Islands we have had and both eggs are the richer dark brown color. I don't get it because this has not happened with any other hen I have had before.

Back
Top Bottom