Chicken skips laying several days, then lays multiple eggs

Dec 25, 2023
SE Texas
I have an Easter Egger, about a year and a half old who has been laying for a while now. She has recently started skipping one or two days of laying and then laying two it three eggs in a day, either all softshell or only one is normal. Some of the time the egg bursts on the way out. She lays them all in only an hour or two and then proceeds to eat the yolk. What do I do, and is there any way to make it to where she stops laying or slows down her production?

I have an Easter Egger, about a year and a half old who has been laying for a while now. She has recently started skipping one or two days of laying and then laying two it three eggs in a day, either all softshell or only one is normal. Some of the time the egg bursts on the way out. She lays them all in only an hour or two and then proceeds to eat the yolk. What do I do, and is there any way to make it to where she stops laying or slows down her production?
How long ago, in days or weeks, did this start?
Any others in your flock having trouble laying?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Are you using supplemental lighting?
Has she molted yet this fall/winter( if you live in the northern hemisphere)?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @TeriyakiTheChicken
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1703551185739.png

She's had this problem for about three weeks to a month, we don't have any other chickens, she eats standard chicken/duck feed and forages around the backyard, as well as stealing our food sometimes, we aren't using any supplemental lighting, but she lives mostly indoors (she sleeps and lays inside, as well as coming in periodically throughout the day), and she didn't molt yet.

She's had this problem for about three weeks to a month, we don't have any other chickens, she eats standard chicken/duck feed and forages around the backyard, as well as stealing our food sometimes, we aren't using any supplemental lighting, but she lives mostly indoors (she sleeps and lays inside, as well as coming in periodically throughout the day), and she didn't molt yet.
What kind of "chicken/duck feed" (brand, model, protein and calcium percentages)?
Given her living indoors, I'm not surprised her laying is off kilter as she's not exposed to 'normal' temps or lighting.

What kind of "chicken/duck feed" (brand, model, protein and calcium percentages)?
Given her living indoors, I'm not surprised her laying is off kilter as she's not exposed to 'normal' temps or lighting.
M-G Feed, can't find calcium or protein percentage on it

Attachments

• Maxwest_Nitro_55A_12252023_083913.jpg
    Maxwest_Nitro_55A_12252023_083913.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 5
You really cannot change laying. Unless she is not getting any calcium? Calcium might help. But I would not really expect this bird to live a long time. Did you say you only have this chicken? And that you keep the chicken in a people house?

Chickens do tend to do better out side in the sunlight and fresh air with other chickens.

We also have four ducks, three of which live outside and one which stays inside at night and hangs out outside mostly during the day, like the chicken does. The chicken hangs out with them and often seems to think either they are chickens or she is a duck. The chicken and inside duck ate free to come and go as they please, unless there is some sort of danger.

Back
Top Bottom