Chicken Not Laying

JM 1st chickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Hello,

I am starting to get a little concerned with my chickens behavior. My black cuckoo maran and brown leghorn are no longer laying. They haven't been laying for almost 2 months! We had to put pin less peppers on the brown leghorn which stressed her out and then she stopped laying (understandably). We took them off around 2 weeks ago and she still is not laying. They black cuckoo maran also stopped laying around the same time as the brown leghorn. I have two other hens, Delaware and Easter Egger, and they both lay on a regular basis.

We did have to mess with their laying location for a little while as the black cuckoo maran was laying right under the roost...gross. They hens laying still don't lay in the nesting box but at least its not under the roost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is your nest box above the ground? My first chicks just started laying and all were in the nest boxes. Heard they would lay all over, so I was happy. I have my boxes about 6 inches above the ground and on opposite ends of the coop away from the roost. The roost is in the middle and the boxxes are on the sides, if that makes sense. I have a Brown leghorn too but not laying yet. They are my only white egg layers, so I know its not them. They are only about 19 weeks so I guess thats good. Got my first 5 eggs this week and 2-3 a day since. I also have a 25 watt bulb on a timer to come on at dusk and shut off at dawn. Dont know if thats good or not, but is working good for me. Also keeps the chill off of them. Temps only been in the 30"s a couple times though. Gonna cut back on the lighting after winter.

Back
Top Bottom