Chicken Not Roosting

sgrzybin

Songster
7 Years
Sep 2, 2015
I have an 8 month old Buff Orpington not roosting with the others. She will stay on the ground leaning forward. There is nothing visibly wrong with her, she walks fine, I see her eat and all, but she is not roosting. I picked her up and put her on the roost and she immediately fell off. She hasn't appeared to have lost weight. Some other information about the coop: The coop itself is 384 square feet with multiple roosting areas and nesting areas, straw is used on the floor and in the nests. The caged in run is 1,000 square feet with 100 square feet of covered area where the food is. Water is changed regularly, there are 5 - 5 gallon waterers. The feed is non-gmo organic crumbles mixed with scratch grain, and black oiled sunflower seeds.

Any possibility she might have frozen toes ? It happens sometimes in the extreme cold some areas have been experiencing.

Any possibility she might have frozen toes ? It happens sometimes in the extreme cold some areas have been experiencing.
Doesn't seem likely, but could be possible. The coop and run are dry and our temperatures are easily tolerated. The roosts are wide enough to allow for their feet to stay warm. I will check.

Her feet look normal. They contract when I pick her up. I pull her legs and she pulls them away. Seems more like a balance thing the more I handled her. I put her back on the roost and she was good as long as I was supporting her.

Back
Top Bottom