chicken not roosting

I assume the mean chickens are gone? I would just pickup the orpington and put them on the roost at dusk. She, likely won't jump down. If she has a good night she may continue to get up there herself.

Depending on how high your roost is, you may need a chicken ladder for her. My orp girl does the same thing...it takes her some effort to get up there. She'll look and pace, pace and look. She really drags it out. But I think it's just hard for her to get her bulk up there. I do have a ladder, but she mostly uses it to get down for some reason...
idunno.gif

I had three who did that - pace back and forth, trying to get up courage to leap up to the perch. It's only three feet off the ground, but for heavy breeds like Orps, Brahmas, and Cochins, it may as well be twenty feet.

I solved the problem by putting together a portable perch made out of a two to three inch tree branch screwed onto 2"x 6" blocks. They now roost on it since all they need to do is step onto it.

It took them a few nights to get the idea, and I placed them on it at first, but now they consider it their own exclusive perch.

Back
Top Bottom