chicken not walking; swollen abdomen;what can I do?

bdagenais

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Went out to feed tonight and noticed one of my hens walking funny. Went to check her out and found her abdomen very swollen. She seems to be having difficulty breathing. Not sure if from the stress from swelling or something else. Did not notice any nasal drainage. All others seem fine. I brought her in and checked her over more closely. The vent area is swollen along with the abdomen. I inserted my finger to check for an egg. Nothing. I am assuming she has a stuck egg that burst. I have her inside and gave her some scrambled egg with a little honey and oat. I am giving her milk by syringe. She doesn't want to eat. She will drink if put in by syringe. I have her soaking in warm epsom water right now. She is calm and actually looks like she is trying to sleep. Is there anyone that could enlighten me on this situation. Does it seem like a broke egg or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Now that I have looked at her poo I noticed it is FULL of her nest bedding. I use large pine shavings in their nests. Her poo is dry -mostly bedding material with some white. It is a brownish color. I am wondering if she is just eating the bedding and is bound up with it. I thought it was a stuck egg but now I am wondering if it is something different. What can I do. I have been giving her water by syringe I have a mix of egg/honey/oatmeal in with her. She is not eating. I put her in a epsom bath last night. She seemed to like it. What do I do now?

Back
Top Bottom