Chicken Nutrition Survey for Grad School MPH Project

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MPHSurveyChick, Nov 15, 2014.

1. MPHSurveyChick

MPHSurveyChick New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi Everyone - I'm new to the chicken world, and I don't have any chicks of my own yet, but I did go on the Chicago Chicken Coop tour last September. Lots of great chickens, coops and chicken owners - so I'm combining this new interest with my grad school final project.

I'm student at the George Washington University in DC - I'm from Chicago originally - and as part of my Master of Public Health program I'm evaluating this aspect of urban agriculture: backyard chickens. For this project I've created a brief online survey about chicken health and nutrition. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to complete.

The purpose of this study is to gain a better understanding of the types of feed and supplements backyard chickens are being fed, and attitudes towards these food choices.

The link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ChickenFeedSurvey

I'll be happy to share my results - I'm hoping to do my final presentation and finish the degree in January or early February.

In terms of other aspects of the project - I have no affiliation with any agricultural feed supplier or agricultural corporations - my background is actually in nursing- but I wanted to do something outside of that area for a final project. As for funding the project - I'm paying the $30 a month Survey Monkey fee myself. There really are no other expenses for the project.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. The more responses I get, the better the project!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This might be an interesting thread for you. You are allowed to select more than one answer so the numbers add up to a lot more than 100%.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...o-you-have-chickens-select-all-that-apply/390

Many of your questions and potential answers don’t apply to me and won’t to a lot of people on this forum. We keep them in many different circumstances and for a variety of reasons. Even in suburbia many people have flocks that chase a lot of bugs and get to act a lot like chickens on the farm. Somehow I get the feeling you are looking at people that keep 4 to 6 hens in a small coop in the backyard. If that is the case you might want to limit your criteria of who should answer by editing your first post. It might be more meaningful than having people like me mess up your statistics.

Good luck with it.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Found it odd that the survey is so heavily weighted towards antibiotic use.
    Hope you post your paper here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by