Chicken off balance - vent contracting

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
Hey yall, I swear I’ve had a ton of chicken problems lately. This time I have a hen who is a bit wobbly and her vent is contracting. I see no signs of injury to her legs - it’s almost like she’s having trouble holding her back end up. She can walk and is eating and drinking but also laying down a lot. Any ideas?

I will add that I do have a rooster who has lost his mind and will be leaving the flock in a couple of days so could this be from over-mating? Thanks.

How is she doing now?
She's doing better but still limping a bit. She eats, drinks, and walks. She laid an egg yesterday too, though I also had an egg with blood in it this morning and think it may have been the one from her. I'm moving one of the roosters out today (the one who is over-mating and not very kind to the girls) - I really think he is the cause of many of the flock issues. I'm going out to set up his new coop now! Thanks for responding.

How is she doing now?
Well, I take that back. She’s a bit lethargic this afternoon, and her tail is down. It also looks like her backside is wet. I’m gonna bring her in shortly. The egg she laid yesterday has blood in it too.

Last edited:
Try to get her drinking some sugar water or electrolytes. Poultry NutriDrench is very good to offer 2 ml per day instead. Scrambled egg, and watery chicken feed is good to offer. Has she had any vent damage from pecking?

Try to get her drinking some sugar water or electrolytes. Poultry NutriDrench is very good to offer 2 ml per day instead. Scrambled egg, and watery chicken feed is good to offer. Has she had any vent damage from pecking?
I haven't been able to examine her vent yet. She's still in with the group, but I'm heading out to get her in a minute. Should I soak her in warm water?

Back
Top Bottom