Chicken or duck??

KatieWilcox

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
Hi guys! First time incubator here!
So I was given some eggs by a friend of mine. The first batch had one fertile egg, I went off what the lovely lady told me that it was a duck egg, well I waited and waited, stopped turning on day 24 and by day 29 I candles the egg and noticed the ‘duck’ was dead.
I decided to open the egg before disposing, to my surprise it was in fact a chicken!! (A longhorn I’m presuming as the egg was white)
So I hadn’t stopped turning in time and the chick had passed away.
I have a fertile egg from the second couple she gave me which is on day 16. My predicament is, I’m now unsure if it’s a chicken or duck and don’t know when to stop turning it! So it’s either due in 5 days or 12!?
Any ideas? The shell feels smooth and I thought duck but I’m doubting myself now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 7
I thought it did! The last one looked just like it and felt the same so has totally confused me 🤯
Definitely understandable! I think what I would do is candle if you haven't already. By day 16 there will still be a good bit of room in the duck egg and good movement, whereas by day 16 in a chicken egg you will be getting quite full with less full range movement.

Do you candle the egg? If it is a chicken, you should stop turning on day 18. If that egg is a duck, it will not hurt the baby to stop turning early. Monitor the humidity and temp and good luck!

Definitely understandable! I think what I would do is candle if you haven't already. By day 16 there will still be a good bit of room in the duck egg and good movement, whereas by day 16 in a chicken egg you will be getting quite full with less full range movement.
Seems to be plenty of room from what I can see and lots of movement!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 5
Do you candle the egg? If it is a chicken, you should stop turning on day 18. If that egg is a duck, it will not hurt the baby to stop turning early. Monitor the humidity and temp and good luck!
I’ve posted an image of the egg being candles in a comment down below, lots of movement so looks like lots more room for growing! Must be a duck egg!

Back
Top Bottom