Chicken or Quail

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Jan 26, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Which do you prefer, Chicken or Quail?

Which one is smarter and has more personality?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Hmmmmm, good question. I enjoy both. The biggest difference for me is the quail are wild and i dont handle them like I do my chickens. But both are very entertaining to watch. [​IMG]

3. r0xiRox

r0xiRox Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    australia
    chickens! I love my girls!

4. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    Chickens will stay put within a certain boundry without a fence. I never could get quail to do that. Maybe someone else has had luck with letting them run, but mine "flew the coop"!

5. PokingMyPancreas

PokingMyPancreas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Middlesex County, NJ
    I prefer chickens. They are much smarter and friendlier than quails.

I had two quails that chose to get eaten by a neighborhood cat than get locked away safely in their cage for the night. I didn't feel bad for them when I found quail feathers strewn about my yard the next morning.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quail are wild... you have to cage them, otherwise they will "fly the coop" the minute you turn your back. However, the coturnix will stay close to their caged mates if they happen to get out. I love my chickens, but my coturnix are just as personable. I'd have to say it's a tie, there. [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    even though you didnt ask..i say ducks!..[​IMG]..they have the most personality...even better than chickens...and quail are more wild/flighty...

8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    for eggs - chickens they are bigger
    to eat - quail they just taste better and grow faster

9. PokingMyPancreas

PokingMyPancreas Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Middlesex County, NJ
    My quails were let out of the cage every day for some free-range time. At dusk, they would march themselves back into the cage. That day, however, my dummy male was feeling suicidal. So he decided to become cat food. The next day, the female flew away looking for him. She came back to my front door two days later. So she wasn't as dumb as her boyfriend.

Just thought I'd share my story about my quail with "emotional issues." [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of quail meat. It tastes funny. I prefer chicken.

10. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I have 2 Couternix quail that sit on the table next to our couch for hours and do not jump off the table. As for the Button quail, they are way too jumpy and jump and fly all over the place. They won't allow you to hold them. The Couternix are really loveable, but I think I prefer chickens.
    sandyj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by