Chicken or the Egg?...My Mission...LOL

Buckeye2002

Chirping
Nov 15, 2018
Omaha, Nebraska
FIRST TIMER FROM OMAHA NEBRASKA
IMG-0593.JPG

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am very new to chickens. I recently found out that our neighborhood covenants were actually expired and the HOA couldn't get enough homeowners to agree to renew them. With the covenants you could not raise livestock, which chickens are considered a part of. So, I just decided that I was going to build a coop, get a permit and raise chickens...just like that...oooo man am I in deep...LOL

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I just received my first flock of 25 chicks. I have lost 2 (one was almost gone upon delivery and one the next day) and now have 23.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I have Rhode Island Reds. I picked this breed because I want fresh eggs for our Bed & Breakfast and I plan on selling our extras. I plan on raising them "Organic" and "Free Range". I know if you buy those types of eggs at our local grocery, plan on paying at least $4.50/dz.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Right now I am full of excitement and wonder. I actually designed and build my coop (my wife calls it a "Chicken Condo") myself. I am very proud of it actually. The other thing I enjoy is just sitting in my garage and watching the chicks. Right now they are changing everyday.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am very active politically. I have a weekly radio show and I am sure my BYC will be part of may show many times. I also am an avid poker player and play with several groups.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am married (14 years) and we are expecting our own very first chick in early June. We have a chocolate Lab named Bubba. We have introduced him to the chicks. He sniffed at them and then just walked way. He is a very good dog and very calm. I see him just laying in the grass in the backyard with the chickens just pecking around him.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Before I jumped off the cliff on this adventure I did extreme amounts of research. Everything from coop designs to breeds to the schedule of a chickens lifespan. BYC became a very valuable resource.

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome, and nice intro!
BYC is my go to resource for experienced individuals! This community is so kind, intelligent, and most of all HELPFUL! I would not have been able to design and build my coop without these forums. Detailed and to the point. Anytime I enter a phrase regarding chickens into my browser BYC is the first to pop up. I've learned just come to the pros 1st!
I'm so thankful to have found and been graciously accepted into this community! A world of knowledge.
Again, WELCOME!!!
- Jess

Back
Top Bottom