Chicken Orbs

Aside from what has been said earlier, my main concern would be the chicken getting stuck in the underbrush. You only need one stick or branch to get into the orb, immobilizing it. Then chicken is a sitting Duck (pun intended)
They would never be unattended. I just wanted a way to allow them the freedom to roam while protecting them. I didn't want to get a chicken tractor but I think that might be a option OR extend their run.

Personally, I would go with the chicken tractor option. This also opens up the option to put them on a very specific area to have that area cleaned. If you ever need to rip out, fertilize and prep for replanting an old garden bed, just have your chickens do it for you!

I'm thinking of getting a few. BUT they would never be rolling around in my yard alone. We have hawks that could get to them. I would have to be out there with them. I just think they would so love running around the yard and I could allow them to do that in this orb. The only concern I have is their feet? I'm still not sold on them just thinking it through and trying to weigh the pros and cons
Have them, love them! Feet are not an issue at all. Yes, be outdoors with or at least monitor while in use. But it is such a nice alternative to having a wire run to maintain. We tend toward being minimalist and least impactful environmentally. These orbs fit the bill, give chickens great exercise, and don’t allow them to destroy our garden.

Have them, love them! Feet are not an issue at all. Yes, be outdoors with or at least monitor while in use. But it is such a nice alternative to having a wire run to maintain. We tend toward being minimalist and least impactful environmentally. These orbs fit the bill, give chickens great exercise, and don’t allow them to destroy our garden.
Sounds like a marketing plug.

They would never be unattended. I just wanted a way to allow them the freedom to roam while protecting them. I didn't want to get a chicken tractor but I think that might be a option OR extend their run.
Hi, PVILLAGO, I'm curious to know if you tried out the Chicken Orb and what you think of it? My daughter just sent me a link to some of their videos, which set me wondering and checking on BYC for people's experiences with the orbs. We have large flat grassy expanses within our fenced yard but also aerial threats from hawks, so our chickens have to stay in covered runs which very much limits their foraging. I'm almost 70 and can't be dragging a chicken tractor all over the place. Of course I'd be with them at all times.

We have “Christian” neighbors, that insisted letting our chickens roam was great! Understand that I am a believer and tend to avoid the term they applied. Everything was just fine until the county called them and told them their carport was too close to our property line. Instead of asking us about it, they “assumed” it was us.

We never said a dang thing to the county, but this moron’s reaction turned into reporting to the county that our chickens are a nuisance. We were issued a warning, the next time, should the capture a picture of a chicken in their yard, it’s a $50/chicken fine. Nice huh?

So to make a long story short, this chicken orb thing caught my attention. However, the cost of $46/orb has held me back, along with some of the comments here. That being said, a fe is going to cost +$5,000 and up. Thanks a lot, huh?

I am further angered by the fact that people like this give real believers in the Lord, Jesus Christ, a bad name and a bad taste in one’s mouth. Lord, forgive me for my anger. His actions in acting like this have banished my girls to the coop. I’m looking at Chunnel ideas instead.

So to make a long story short, this chicken orb thing caught my attention. However, the cost of $46/orb has held me back, along with some of the comments here. That being said, a fe is going to cost +$5,000 and up. Thanks a lot, huh?
A fence is usually a better choice. Depending on how many chickens you are dealing with, a fence may also be cheaper.

There are many kinds of fences. Some are meant to keep predators out. Some are just meant to keep chickens in.

Chicken wire or bird netting can be enough fence to keep chickens in. They are not strong enough to protect chickens against predators. But if your biggest need is to keep the chickens off your neighbor's land, something like bird netting or chicken wire might be good enough (and cheaper than a "better" fence would be.)

Back
Top Bottom